Sign in to follow this  
Axe

Miami

13 hours ago, Tundra said:

Why would the Dolphins be messing around with Osweiler? He sucks,  we need to see the defense play against someone who can actually play. You know like Brent Hundley. :facepalm 

Given the Buccaneers history of playing well against starting QBs and sucking against scrub QBs I think teams will be trading for Osweiler a week before each Buccaneers game until the deadline.

11 minutes ago, Chas said:

Given the Buccaneers history of playing well against starting QBs and sucking against scrub QBs I think teams will be trading for Osweiler a week before each Buccaneers game until the deadline.

Good point. 

1 hour ago, bucs63 said:

The stadium was as empty as I've ever seen it. There was a lot of rain that tailed off around 5:00 which probably helped some decide not to go. Good for me, as I was able to sit right behind the Buc bench with some of the player's families.

We were right next Carlton Davis' family so I was inclined to focus on him most of the time. He generally held tight coverage and looked plenty fast to run deep. If anything, and maybe he was just be tentative, he could be a little more physical. It's one game but looks like a good pick. He started with the first team and I believe he played the whole first half. 

Gholston's family drove down from Tampa. Nice young folks that really enjoy the game. Not much to say about him though that hasn't been said or we didn't already know.

The first team Dline looked OK. McCoy and JPP might be the pass rush. The O-line group looks pretty tight on the bench, Except for Benenoch who might be nursing and injury. Worhop is pretty fired up when he's getting that groups attention. I noticed that Ryan Jensen was pretty animated too, and the jolly bastard has a lot of his power located around his center.

And that first extra point. Of course. Had to happen. 

Other than that you all saw probably more than I did, and it was a a good game.

You forgot to go live so I got to watch the Browns game I hope your 8 dollar beers were warm ;) 

1 hour ago, Tundra said:

Awesome that you were there 63 and especially that you were able to be close to Bucs players families. All the anonymity of being some random fan, it's easy to forget these players are real humans and bleed and laugh and cry like the rest of us.  I enjoyed your view of the game way more than those "need to be retired" assholes Tom Jones and Martin Fennelly over at Fishwrap Times.  Good on ya mate. 

It was pretty cool to see the proud look on their excited faces when they called out to Carlton ehen they got there while he was warming up before dressing out. And the badass CB waving back at them looking like a goofy kid with a smile that could break his face.

Some comments to the comments.

The DL was 100 times more active than at any point in the regular season last year.  No pass rush is getting to a quick passing game anyway but the DL was in the backfield often enough to notice the difference. JPP, McCoy, Spence and Curry all had their moments. Those wishing for a 2002 DL are going to be seriously disappointed as that type of DL is impossible these days because of how offenses are run.

The issue in the passing game, if a pre-season game can have an issue, was the off coverage the DBs were playing. That needs to change during the regular season for a couple of reasons including that all of the Bucs CBs save Grimes are better at manning up than playing zone schemes. The kid DBs all played pretty well despite not being put in the best positions.

Tackling across the league is typically awful until about the 5th game of the regular season because of the restrictions during practice. Anyone catch any of the Giant game?

Considering the number of guys out, the OL played pretty well.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks Ronald Jones is battling Peyton Barber to be the starter. He isn't. He's a change of pace guy who's going to go 1, -1, 2, 75. That's opposed to Barber's 3,4,2,4,3.  Barber's going to start.

In terms of making the roster, I thought it interesting where Gholston and Sims showed up on the field. Both in the second half.

The kicking issue is perplexing. Through 2015 it wasn't that big of an issue. I think the biggest issue to that point was how far the kicker's kickoff's were travelling. Both Murray and Barth were ok during the couple of years leading up to 2016. I don't recall any clamoring for a new kicker from the fans although the coaches seemed stressed about it.

Then the rules changed. The PAT was moved back and the desire to have a kicker who can drop a kickoff inside the 5 yard line with some hang time became a goal. This led to the drafting of a kicker which failed miserably and everyone else they've brought in hasn't been up to any standards. One other thing changed in 2016 and that is the holder. Last night's PAT miss looked like Catanzaro hit a spinner with the ball moving as he hit it. That can be a timing issue with a new LS and the holder or the holder himself.

40 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

One other thing changed in 2016 and that is the holder. Last night's PAT miss looked like Catanzaro hit a spinner with the ball moving as he hit it. That can be a timing issue with a new LS and the holder or the holder himself.

You'd think if Anger was part of the problem they'd have a clue by now. They've swapped out everyone else. 

34 minutes ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

New kicker in today. Nick Rose. Apparently was with the Redskins at some point.

He's been with 5 teams since '16 but kicked a bit last year. 2 of 3 for the Raiders and 8 of 11 for the Skins.

Guys like this just need a chance. :lol:

Alan Cross

Tight end Alan Cross spent much of his first two years with the Bucs on the bubble, getting cut and re-signed during last season. That might have changed with his progress this offseason, including an impressive 10-yard touchdown catch in Thursday's preseason opener against Miami.

"I'd say he's not on the bubble," Koetter said Friday. "Alan Cross is a pretty good football player. He does a lot of things behind the scenes that people don't always see. He's a guy that is in the shadows sometimes, but all the sudden when you need him, if a guy's hurt, he knows all the positions. He plays fullback, he plays tight end, in the slot, on all the special teams. Heck, he could probably coach the special teams. Just a good football player, and that was a beautiful route and throw on his touchdown."

Bucs running game improved last year when the Bucs inserted Barber and Cross was used more as an H-Back after Howard was injured. They ran behind Cross and Auclair. Last night, the left side of the line...Smith, Marpet and Jensen were moving things pretty well and if they Bucs stick Howard over there and Cross as an H-Back with Barber running they can be really successful.

Just re-watched the game on NFL network.   Ryan Smith sucks balls. Sweaty hairy ones. Get rid of the scrub, he isn't getting better. And if Big Head Mike continues to  insist on off coverages, then he will be unemployed. Period. 

Spence flashed a nice move which was good to see and I saw Vinny do some nice things. JPP and Gerald also.  They could sure use a healthy Vita Vea in there to clog the run. 

Rookie DBs look good, them and Grimes, maybe the Bucs will be improved from historically bad on defense.  

50 minutes ago, Tundra said:

Rookie DBs look good, them and Grimes, maybe the Bucs will be improved from historically bad on defense.  

If not this would have to be the historically worst? They were last in just about everything. Individual performance is key but remember this.

Music is the silence between the notes - Debussy