NNUD28

Dungy in the ring of honor

2 minutes ago, jobuc597 said:

Dungy got enough votes to get a Yellow blazer and a Bust of his head in the NFL Hall of Fame...And he's gotten enough Votes to be in our ring of honor....includes a date of induction....Whether you like it or not....He's In....

As a Buc Fan since Day One....He was ...The closest thing we had to a professional football team since it's inception...and maybe he didn't take us to the promised land...but that doesn't cancel what he's done for this Team....

Be hard to find a season ticket holder as semi-anti Dungy as myself, that said, you are correct. My, as well as many other “long time” season ticket holders thoughts, just aren’t as grand as our local media likes to pontificate. Throw him in there, it really doesn’t matter.

1 hour ago, tb_buc said:

Be hard to find a season ticket holder as semi-anti Dungy as myself, 

I'm not anti-Dungy either. Seems like a nice guy and as I said earlier, the Bucs don't exactly have a long list of qualified greats to put into the ROH, so might as well put in a coach who got canned for underachievement.   I just find it sadly amusing that the bar for the highest honor in Bucdom is set at getting a team to play like professionals. That's pretty much the bare minimum for any coach at this level, but in Tampa, they put him in Valhalla.  So I admit I bristle at the retro-deification of the guy. I mean, when he was let go, we were all fed up, and with good reason. The things that made him a competent coach - a consistent stay-the-course conservative philosophy - is exactly what prevented him from becoming a great one.  After coming so close to a Superbowl appearance in 1999 (although I continue to maintain that if the Bucs had an unlimited set of downs on that last drive, they would still not be in the endzone), and with the additions of KJ and Brad Johnson, they were set to take the next step, but instead they slipped backward.

I was only half-kidding with my first comment.  Dungy deserves recognition for what he did here. I just wish he wasn't being placed alongside the true greats of this franchise. Maybe put him in the ROH, but instead of featuring his name boldly on the facade of the 300 level with the others, they just inscribe it on the anchor of the pirate ship. Because once he got us into the safe harbor of competency, he certainly kept us floating there way too long.  

13 minutes ago, Pirate said:

I'm not anti-Dungy either. Seems like a nice guy and as I said earlier, the Bucs don't exactly have a long list of qualified greats to put into the ROH, so might as well put in a coach who got canned for underachievement.   I just find it sadly amusing that the bar for the highest honor in Bucdom is set at getting a team to play like professionals. That's pretty much the bare minimum for any coach at this level, but in Tampa, they put him in Valhalla.  So I admit I bristle at the retro-deification of the guy. I mean, when he was let go, we were all fed up, and with good reason. The things that made him a competent coach - a consistent stay-the-course conservative philosophy - is exactly what prevented him from becoming a great one.  After coming so close to a Superbowl appearance in 1999 (although I continue to maintain that if the Bucs had an unlimited set of downs on that last drive, they would still not be in the endzone), and with the additions of KJ and Brad Johnson, they were set to take the next step, but instead they slipped backward.

I was only half-kidding with my first comment.  Dungy deserves recognition for what he did here. I just wish he wasn't being placed alongside the true greats of this franchise. Maybe put him in the ROH, but instead of featuring his name boldly on the facade of the 300 level with the others, they just inscribe it on the anchor of the pirate ship. Because once he got us into the safe harbor of competency, he certainly kept us floating there way too long.  

You had me at retro-deification.

Not to be confused with the defecation it's caused for some, of course. 

4 hours ago, Pirate said:

I just wish he wasn't being placed alongside the true greats of this franchise.

True greats of the franchise. Let's see. Selmon and...um....um.....um.....um....Brooks, Sapp and.....um.....um....um.....Lynch and Barber and....um....um....

Emotionally players such as Alstott and Gruber get in. I thought Jimmie Giles was a really weak choice.

If great is the qualification then no coaches go in. I think the ROH should be limited and not put a guy in there every year type however I also think some are being too limiting. I think Gruden and Dungy should go in. Gruden wasn't any great shakes in Tampa. He got the team over the hump and he should be appreciated for that. Othere than that, he didn't do much. He also deserved to go in prior to Dungy who changed the team around. McKay? If those two are in I guess he's in as well. If they aren't then McKay shouldn't be. He was put in year after a lock in Selmon. There's your standard whether anyone likes it or not. I don't see any argument at all for keeping Dungy out based on who is in.

1 hour ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Seriously, where was the outrage when Mckay was put into the ROH?  For me it would be Dungy, Sapp, Brooks,  Lynch, Barber (actually fuck that guy), Alstott, Gruden, and Selmon.  McKay should be honored in the urinal where he belongs alongside Culverhouse.

You know it’s John and not Rich, right?

Yes, John McKay who stood alongside Hugh Culverhouse as he fucked over players running the team on the cheap....getting rid of a now HOF QB simply because he wanted to get compensated fairly.  John McKay whose Bucs record was 44 and 88, with a playoff record of 1-3.  That John McKay?  So why is he qualified to get in and Dungy isn't?

3 hours ago, Tundra said:

Ray Perkins should be in there, just for making the others look ring worthy.

He drafted Gruber and Tony Mayberry. Those guys were still around almost a decade after he was fired. His first two drafts in 1987 and 1988 were very good. He just ran his players in the ground with his practices. The worst coach in Buccaneer history was Leeman Bennett. He was 4-28 and could have been worse than that. In 1986, Culverhouse did a salary dump that was so awful that it hard to blame Bennett completely for the second 2-14 season.

16 minutes ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Yes, John McKay who stood alongside Hugh Culverhouse as he fucked over players running the team on the cheap....getting rid of a now HOF QB simply because he wanted to get compensated fairly.  John McKay whose Bucs record was 44 and 88, with a playoff record of 1-3.  That John McKay?  So why is he qualified to get in and Dungy isn't?

Whoa relax there little buddy. I was just making sure you didn’t have your McKays mixed up.

So did you have a “throw McKay in the bay” t-shirt?

On 5/15/2018 at 12:06 PM, Pirate said:

With a normal franchise, it would be easy to bitch about Dungy's selection. Taking a bad franchise to respectability but no Superbowls is not usually the stuff coaching legends are made of, especially when you see that the greatest players on the team that finally won the Superbowl with his successor was brought in by his predecessor.  

But hey, what are you gonna do? The Bucs seem determined to keep inducting at least one person into the ROH every year whether they really deserve it or not, and after Dungy there's really only Ronde, Hardy, and Dunn as plausible choices for the foreseeable future. McCoy will get in way down the line, but what are they going to do for the intervening several years?   Tony Mayberry?  Serviceable player, but ROH?  Pffft.  

Then again, Denver has had a great franchise and they let Lynch in after playing only 4 seasons, just to shove it in our faces because they inducted him first. So I suppose the Bucs could go with Steve Young or Randall McDaniel.  :) 

Good post. 

34 minutes ago, rook said:

He drafted Gruber and Tony Mayberry. Those guys were still around almost a decade after he was fired. His first two drafts in 1987 and 1988 were very good. He just ran his players in the ground with his practices. The worst coach in Buccaneer history was Leeman Bennett. He was 4-28 and could have been worse than that. In 1986, Culverhouse did a salary dump that was so awful that it hard to blame Bennett completely for the second 2-14 season.

Ray Perkins was coach of the Giants when LT and Phil Simms were drafted as well.  Hired Bill Parcells and Bill Bellichek as well.

On 5/17/2018 at 4:24 PM, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

So why not Brad Johnson in the ROH?

Depends on what you're honoring I guess. If it's mediocre coaches fired for being completely worthless in the playoffs, that's Dungy. If it's a gritty and underrated leader who led the team to the championship, it's Johnson.