Sign in to follow this  
Tundra

Firing Gruden -- a Retrospective

Yeah I was wrong about Gruden holding out for the Cowboys, but I didn't foresee him being tempted with a boatload of money and partial ownership in a team that will play in a multi-billion dollar palace in a couple of years.

And yeah, okay the Bucs burned bridges with him, but back when he was still the Raiders coach, didn't Gruden hold a press conference saying that he was not going to extend his contract? And then not too long after that, he was presented as the Buccaneers coach. So it's not like Al Davis really tried that hard to keep him.That wouldn't burn a bridge or two? But, again... partial ownership, a palace stadium with probably some slot machines in the concession areas, etc.

My reality is that I always had a problem with him on a personal level, much like I still do with Warren Sapp. They're both a-holes in their own way, but Gruden's behavior locally was a bit of an embarrassment because I didn't see it coming and thought it was unnecessary. If you see me at a tailgate next season and ask me offline, I'll tell you about a couple of them.

And similar to Steve, I was not all that upset when Gruden was fired, but I was disappointed in the choice made by the ownership for his replacement, and those that followed.

Ok, here the fucking thing about Firing Gruden....

It had almost nothing to do with his performance as a coach or how the team was doing.  Personally, I might have been okay with that if they went out and threw money around to hire the best coach(es), they could find.  The defense was done and we didn't have a QB in place.  It would have been good timing.  But they didn't do that.  They hired the Water Boy and Mr Coffee to run the show.

It was entirely about running the team on the cheap.  They had probably told Gruden and Allen, give us one more year because money is tight for us (Man U/Economy), and then when Gruden had cleared all that cap space up, he was dumped.  The Glazers saw that we were going to have some capless years, and decided to fire a bunch of people and run the team as cheaply as possible while still taking in their cut of NFL Money.

There was almost no way it was going to end any differently.  They were essentially a MLB team dumping their entire payroll.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:29 PM, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

Ok, here the fucking thing about Firing Gruden....

It had almost nothing to do with his performance as a coach or how the team was doing.  Personally, I might have been okay with that if they went out and threw money around to hire the best coach(es), they could find.  The defense was done and we didn't have a QB in place.  It would have been good timing.  But they didn't do that.  They hired the Water Boy and Mr Coffee to run the show.

It was entirely about running the team on the cheap.  They had probably told Gruden and Allen, give us one more year because money is tight for us (Man U/Economy), and then when Gruden had cleared all that cap space up, he was dumped.  The Glazers saw that we were going to have some capless years, and decided to fire a bunch of people and run the team as cheaply as possible while still taking in their cut of NFL Money.

There was almost no way it was going to end any differently.  They were essentially a MLB team dumping their entire payroll.

Yep.

6 hours ago, UncleBuc said:

5-4 with 5 straight road games, no WR.    Play calling top notch.    Our triplets are fucking morons.

Thought the exact same thing watching that game last night ..Why the fuck they fired Gruden is beyond me they must be the dumbest owners in the NFL 

24 minutes ago, NNUD28 said:

Thought the exact same thing watching that game last night ..Why the fuck they fired Gruden is beyond me they must be the dumbest owners in the NFL 

They are without a doubt the dumbest owners and should remove themselves from all football related games decisions. 

I think what happened is Gruden went to them to ask to spend more money in FA and when they told him and Allen no, Gruden pretty much fired himself. 

All that they gave up to being him in and then they let him go...bozos.

1 minute ago, fanofdabucs said:

They are without a doubt the dumbest owners and should remove themselves from all football related games decisions. 

I think what happened is Gruden went to them to ask to spend more money in FA and when they told him and Allen no, Gruden pretty much fired himself. 

All that they gave up to being him in and then they let him go...bozos.

I believe that's the most likely scenario. Firing Gruden was the most humane situation if he wasn't going to take their shit without a fight. He got his full salary out of those dumbass posers while basking in the spotlight as ESPN's highest paid analyst. Didn't suffer a day more trying to make a race horse out of a jackass. Fuck those inbred cock sucking close-fisted Glazertard fucks.