Sign in to follow this  
Buc

With the 7th pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. . .

OK - I keep looking at these early mock drafts (i know pre-combine) and most of them have pretty much coalesced around the idea that Bradley Chubb will be off the board by the time we pick at #7.
I understand the combine and FA might have some influence here but just for fun.

Most (but not all) of the mocks seem to have the same 4-5 or so players still on the board when we pick. What are your thoughts on any of these picks? Trade down scenarios if you have them (involving these guys or add you own)

Saquon Barkley RB - tough one to pass up here - but a good class of RBs this year - My heart says YES but my head says its too high of a pick with that much talent still on the board and other options for some quality backs later on

Minkah Fitzpatrick DB - is this guy a safety or a corner or a LB????. .  do you really select this high for a guy that is a jack of all trades - there is a lot of buzz around the guy but Ima pass

Quenton Nelson G - Great player according to the experts - position of need - not the sexiest pick this high but I take him at #7 if he is available

Derwin James DB - see Fitzpatrick up there ^^^^^ - same kind of talent and same kind of WTF??

Vita Vea DT - There is a lot of buzz about this guy - his combine could really turn some heads - I like the pick but not at #7 (YET) - he may change my mind

Billy Price C - I like the idea but not this high - if we could find a trade down partner in the 15-20 range???? I think he might be a better value there - too much of a reach even that low???

Marcus Davenport DE - this guy by all accounts is still kind of a project - but hard to argue he has the build to be a good one with some potential - but you cant draft a potential guys at #7 - can you???? - Im going with a similar thought process as the Center mentioned above - combine could change some minds - Where are you on this guy??

Connor Williams OT - sounds like this guy is the OT version of Nelson the G above - kind of a plug and play - just not as highly rated as far as I can tell - maybe a trade down but not as far as the one mentioned above - I think he is gone by around 15 or so. . .  again the combine comes into play as well

I'd love to hear what some of you geniuses have to say about these guys - and Im sure there are other players you might like better

I personally think that with a little bit of luck the Buccaneers could swing a trade with the Buffalo Bills. The Buccaneers would get the 21st and 22nd picks and the Bills would get the 7th and the QB of the future in Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma or Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming.

The Buccaneers could then take:

21. Vita Vea, DT, Washington or Arden Key, DE, LSU

22. Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville or Donte Jackson, CB, LSU or Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

52 minutes ago, Chas said:

I personally think that with a little bit of luck the Buccaneers could swing a trade with the Buffalo Bills. The Buccaneers would get the 21st and 22nd picks and the Bills would get the 7th and the QB of the future in Baker Mayfield, QB, Oklahoma or Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming.

22. Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville or Donte Jackson, CB, LSU or Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

Wouldn't draft a DT that high and not sure Sony Michel is a round one pick. But I like the concept especially if Licht can fleece the Bears to swap one position so the Bears can get Nelson for their 2nd or 3rd.  Then Licht could do the deal with Buffalo, Mayfield will be there, I think he sucks but a lot of people think he's going to be great so there ya go. 

All the speculation of how things could go is great. And so positive. But it doesn't usually go that way and we make the best of it. You go on.

It's like a date I once had. We meet at this restaurant and she tells me she's a vegan and that didn't work out so well.

I finally had to say QUIT FUCKIN CRYIN. I'M TRYIN TO EAT!

2 hours ago, Tundra said:

Bet you didn’t trade up for a fucking kicker in round 2 though. :facepalm

I didn't, but I also didn't completely disagree with the decision.  

The league had just changed the rules to make PAT's tougher... they'd moved the touchback to the 25 giving an advantage to teams who could drop the ball at the goal line... the Bucs kicking game hadn't been good.

And there was the most accurate kicker in NCAA sitting there for the taking.  Also, that 2nd rounder was basically the Bucs 3rd rounder and the other pick they'd gotten from moving back a couple spots...

I get why Licht was tempted to invest heavily in the position... but he didn't foresee Aguayo completely cracking under that pressure.  

Sure, it failed spectacularly, I'm just saying there was SOME logic to it.

1 hour ago, The Rich McKay Conspiracy said:

I didn't, but I also didn't completely disagree with the decision.  

The league had just changed the rules to make PAT's tougher... they'd moved the touchback to the 25 giving an advantage to teams who could drop the ball at the goal line... the Bucs kicking game hadn't been good.

And there was the most accurate kicker in NCAA sitting there for the taking.  Also, that 2nd rounder was basically the Bucs 3rd rounder and the other pick they'd gotten from moving back a couple spots...

I get why Licht was tempted to invest heavily in the position... but he didn't foresee Aguayo completely cracking under that pressure.  

Sure, it failed spectacularly, I'm just saying there was SOME logic to it.

I got the logic, and really that was overly snarky of me because Licht has overseen the best overall four consecutive years of drafting I remember as a long time poster and Bucs fan.  And if Agayoyo had made his kicks and won more than he lost, I suppose it would have somewhat justified the decision. But it didn't. 

I doubt any GM ever trades up in the second round for a fucking kicker ever again, I don't care if the bastard made all his kicks inside 55 yards. 

7 hours ago, Buc said:

OK - I keep looking at these early mock drafts (i know pre-combine) and most of them have pretty much coalesced around the idea that Bradley Chubb will be off the board by the time we pick at #7.
I understand the combine and FA might have some influence here but just for fun.

Most (but not all) of the mocks seem to have the same 4-5 or so players still on the board when we pick. What are your thoughts on any of these picks? Trade down scenarios if you have them (involving these guys or add you own)

Saquon Barkley RB - tough one to pass up here - but a good class of RBs this year - My heart says YES but my head says its too high of a pick with that much talent still on the board and other options for some quality backs later on

Minkah Fitzpatrick DB - is this guy a safety or a corner or a LB????. .  do you really select this high for a guy that is a jack of all trades - there is a lot of buzz around the guy but Ima pass

Quenton Nelson G - Great player according to the experts - position of need - not the sexiest pick this high but I take him at #7 if he is available

Derwin James DB - see Fitzpatrick up there ^^^^^ - same kind of talent and same kind of WTF??

Vita Vea DT - There is a lot of buzz about this guy - his combine could really turn some heads - I like the pick but not at #7 (YET) - he may change my mind

Billy Price C - I like the idea but not this high - if we could find a trade down partner in the 15-20 range???? I think he might be a better value there - too much of a reach even that low???

Marcus Davenport DE - this guy by all accounts is still kind of a project - but hard to argue he has the build to be a good one with some potential - but you cant draft a potential guys at #7 - can you???? - Im going with a similar thought process as the Center mentioned above - combine could change some minds - Where are you on this guy??

Connor Williams OT - sounds like this guy is the OT version of Nelson the G above - kind of a plug and play - just not as highly rated as far as I can tell - maybe a trade down but not as far as the one mentioned above - I think he is gone by around 15 or so. . .  again the combine comes into play as well

I'd love to hear what some of you geniuses have to say about these guys - and Im sure there are other players you might like better

Tough decision with those guys in play.

Barkley would be a nice addition to the offense for sure, and the RB position could use someone like him along with Barber.

I would take Minkah Fitzpatrick over everyone except the O-Linemen, but that's because I think our O-Line sucks something awful, but then again, so does our secondary.

If I am going DB, I am going Fitzpatrick over James all day long and twice on Sundays. James is good, but he isn't Fitzpatrick good.

I personally wouldn't pick Vea at 7.

Davenport has all the potential to be a star, but he also has all the potential to suck. That is the problem with project players.

5 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

I'm not advocating the Bucs pick Fitzpatrick but this may be the biggest short selling I've seen on him. He is a fantastic player.

Agreed. That guy will be a big time player at the next level.

3 hours ago, SamuraiBuc said:

Tough decision with those guys in play.

Barkley would be a nice addition to the offense for sure, and the RB position could use someone like him along with Barber.

I would take Minkah Fitzpatrick over everyone except the O-Linemen, but that's because I think our O-Line sucks something awful, but then again, so does our secondary.

If I am going DB, I am going Fitzpatrick over James all day long and twice on Sundays. James is good, but he isn't Fitzpatrick good.

I personally wouldn't pick Vea at 7.

Davenport has all the potential to be a star, but he also has all the potential to suck. That is the problem with project players.

Agreed. That guy will be a big time player at the next level.

I don't like a RB that high and think there would be alternatives in round 2 and 3. Vea not at 7 although the thought needs to be entertained that McCoy is getting to the point in which he will need to be replaced if only because of his salary at his age. Davenport I have, at this point, considered him as a 2nd rounder. I'm still a Chubby/Full Nelson guy at this point.

Fitzpatrick being labeled as a man without a position (elsewhere) is just hogwash. He's a CB by trade. He moved to cover the slot for one reason...he could and Bama had barrier guys who could take his place and they couldn't play nickel. Fitzpatrick also played a hybrid SS/LBer because, again, he could and Bama had players who could fill in at positions in which Fitzpatrick was more of a natural (CB and FS) with a bigger dropoff at SS and/or LBer. He played close to the LOS a lot when Bama lost their entire LBing crew for a while. He'll be a terrific pro.

7 hours ago, Chas said:

I've thought of the trade scenario myself because of the Bills two 1st rounders but I'm not sure pick 7 is in the QB mix.

Fitzpatrick's a monster. IMHO, he's the best player in the draft. If the Bucs had a chance to grab him at #7, he should be the pick. If he's off the board, I'm good with Nelson. Ideally, we see Fitzpatrick, Nelson, or Chubb. But, this is the Bucs. So, either by luck or Licht's drafting 'acumen', the Bucs will wind up with someone else. 

This team needs to focus on the trenches. DE, DT, OG.

If Chubb is there, he’s the pick, without question. Best player at the biggest area of need. 

If Chubb is gone (likely) then Nelson makes a ton of sense. Again, best player at a position of great need. 

I have a hard time seeing both these guys gone. This draft has a lot of interesting QB prospects and some QB needy teams like the Browns, Giants and Broncos picking ahead of us.

But let’s say both Chubb and Nelson are gone (Bucslife), then we need to figure out who the best player at a position of need is. 

I'm totally against drafting a RB this high. Give me a guy like Sony Michele later in the draft.

So that leaves Davenport, Fitzpatrick and Vita Vea.

Fitzpatrick is about as talented a football player as there is in this draft, but is he a S or CB? If the Bucs think they’re drafting a safety, I’d pass. If they aren’t sure if he’s a safety or CB, I’d pass. But if they are 100% confident the kid can play outside CB, then I’d take a hard look.

Vita Vea is intriguing as hell. Huge, powerful guys that can move are hard to find. Baker should be a goner, McDonald is old and McCoy is getting up there. 

Davenport is the wildcard. So he played at a small school, so have a lot of really good players. I watched him play in the senior bowl and the guy was a force and disprutive. 

So give my a Chubby or Full Nelson.

After that, I’d stick with someone in the trenches like Vea or Davenport (hopefully after trading down).

2 hours ago, Bucaroo Bonzai said:

I wouldn't be against a trade....either that or DL.  Seems like we need a bunch of late 1st or 2nd round quality players.  I wouldn't go RB early in the 1st.  Seems like the way to go is runningback by committee these days.

Agreed on RB. And look - if a guy has a particularly fabulous year he generally doesn’t reproduce it and then gets hurt.   Let’s get the nnudster down to OBP to run the ball!