Sign in to follow this  
Axe

From the Book of WTF

He's what, 24? 

I just see a guy letting loose a little.  He's not uppercutting a girlfriend in an elevator.  This is a non-issue to me.

I get that it's cheesy as fuck to eat your W fingers.  I get that he's a corny pre-game hype guy.  I get all of that, and I don't give a shit about it.

I just want him to put games together at the start of the season that look like he worked the entire off-season at getting better.  Because if that's true, he's going to be solid. I still think that we're likely to see another losing season, but seeing Jameis actually take a positive development step could make that easier to deal with.

That shit doesn't bother me at all/ Not being afraid to cut loose is a positive in this world, IMO.  I think he's only 23 and he's not really trying to relate to us 50 and 60 somethings.  What I'm more worried about is his continuing trouble securing the football and throwing ill advised passes. 

I'll play along just because I can't seem to stop myself from taking up for Jameis.

He's extremely close friends with former Gator, Thaddeus Bullard who goes by the wrestling name of 'Titus O'Neil'. He and Winston are involved in few local charities around the Tampa area. Winston and the Bucs have been to various WWE events where O'Neil's been. The picture's really nothing to see. You'll see a lot of professional athletes at those shows, hamming up in the first row and participating in the overall gimmick nature of wrestling.

Perhaps if Jameis hangs out with more Gators, there will be less shade coming from the smartest fans on the internet?

It's pretty clear at this point that Jameis is capable of strange behavior running the gamut from misogynistic to petty criminal to disrespectful to just plain goofy, and I doubt that Jameis will ever completely stop being Jameis. The question I have is whether he can ever raise his game to a level that makes it worth dealing with that crap. 

7 hours ago, Pirate said:

It's pretty clear at this point that Jameis is capable of strange behavior running the gamut from misogynistic to petty criminal to disrespectful to just plain goofy, and I doubt that Jameis will ever completely stop being Jameis. The question I have is whether he can ever raise his game to a level that makes it worth dealing with that crap. 

What is strange about his behavior in this case?

8 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

There's nothing strange about it. What's funny to me is that you have McCoy sitting right next to him, and basically doing the same type of stuff. And yet, somehow, it's an indictment on Winston and his long-term trajectory as the Bucs' starter. Comical at this point. Besides, the picture's almost THREE YEARS OLD. But, whatever. Keep pushing the narrative...

Winston needs to eliminate the boneheaded plays and continue to improve his play.

But WTF does this image of him having a good time have to do with anything?

Seems like the same old farts that get bent out of shape every year because AC/DC isn’t playing in the super bowl. 

10 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

I think I would defer to my description in this case as merely goofy.  I don't begrudge him having fun.  But even for someone mugging for the camera just to be silly, he looks like a fucking idiot.  McCoy is just grooving along, fun and relaxed. Winston looks like he's in the throes of some sort of epileptic fit.  That doesn't mean he can't be a good QB.   It's just another instance of over-the-top behavior that annoys me. And as a cranky old man sitting in front of a screen with nothing else to do at the moment, I'm entitled to be annoyed. :) 

I'm commenting on the gif because it's what started this thread, but my comments about Winston being a strange guy are based on his history.  Theft. Misogyny. Poking opposing players in the back of the helmet (seriously, who does that?). "Eat a W".  Rape allegations. Assault allegations. It's no secret I don't like the guy. Never have. I doubt I ever will. But these things, collectively, are not things associated with normal well-adjusted human beings.... now, all that said, it has always been my position that although I prefer players that I root for to be good people and it's always gratifying to find out that they are -- but even if they are axe murderers, so long as their off-the-field stuff doesn't affect their team or their ability to produce on the field, I'm happy.  Winston, even with the hiccups of late, hasn't been a big problem in that regard. But his whole persona is based on him being a great leader - and "eat a W" or helmet-poking just doesn't add to his gravitas as a field general and future of the franchise. He's more a buffoon and a clown than a leader at this point.    

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

I think I would defer to my description in this case as merely goofy.  I don't begrudge him having fun.  But even for someone mugging for the camera just to be silly, he looks like a fucking idiot.  McCoy is just grooving along, fun and relaxed. Winston looks like he's in the throes of some sort of epileptic fit.  That doesn't mean he can't be a good QB.   It's just another instance of over-the-top behavior that annoys me. And as a cranky old man sitting in front of a screen with nothing else to do at the moment, I'm entitled to be annoyed. :) 

Well said. Maybe some people don't want to accept that others just see the face of the franchise as acting like an ass. Kids today, right. I don't really care to see or even know about these guys off the field. Let him act on the field and be the reason we win. And when he's on a box of toasted wheat cereal W's making a goofy gesture I'll buy the first damn box.

As far as old farts go, if they're defined as those who'd rather not see the SB halftime show degrade to something out of that Grammy spectacle, they are probably a good portion of the game day TV and stadium demographic. The NFL doesn't need to appeal to them as they attempt to broaden their empire on an international scale. A bold and long held plan. A plan which has maintained one fact, one constant truth about the Super Bowl halftime show.

IT'S GOING TO FUCKING SUCK!