Sign in to follow this  
Dunn_Deal28

Warren Sapp on the Bucs' defense...

Yeah, I wasn't that disappointed with Koetter coming back. But, Smith? I'm not seeing it. Through 32 games, he's had maybe 8 or 10 really impressive games. The rest have been brutally bad. Perhaps they figure an upgraded pass rush (which I assume is coming) will do the trick, along with a bounce back season from Kwon. Even if those things happen, just not confident in Smith's scheme slowing down the QB's in the NFC south.

3 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

Yeah, I wasn't that disappointed with Koetter coming back. But, Smith? I'm not seeing it. Through 32 games, he's had maybe 8 or 10 really impressive games. The rest have been brutally bad. Perhaps they figure an upgraded pass rush (which I assume is coming) will do the trick, along with a bounce back season from Kwon. Even if those things happen, just not confident in Smith's scheme slowing down the QB's in the NFC south.

I agree, to be a great defense you need a dominant front & or coverage talent or scheme

5 hours ago, Dunn_Deal28 said:

I'm all out of likes and shit. But thanks DD. I wish Sapp would get more specific but maybe he's trying to temper his outbursts and get another tv or rdio gig. 

36 minutes ago, Tundra said:

I'm all out of likes and shit. But thanks DD. I wish Sapp would get more specific but maybe he's trying to temper his outbursts and get another tv or rdio gig. 

No worries! And, agreed on Sapp. Likely pulling some punches with his old team. But behind closed doors? Probably has a ton to say.

Injuries have played a role. When healthy, Spence could be a good one. 

Poor drafting and personnel decisions have played a role. Hargreaves is struggling. Free agents like Baker never panned out. 

Coaching is an issue. Smith may need to rethink his philosophy and the way he’s doing things.

Leadership is an issue. The most obvious candidate is McCoy, but he’s really lacks the skillset. He also comes across as being soft and kind of goofy. Wearing a kimono to camp doesn’t really conveys you’re a badass...unless you go all Bruce Lee on their asses I guess.

The defense doesn’t have the edge it did during the glory years. The culture is broken. That’s not easily fixable.

For this defense to turn things around, the Bucs will have to invest in it. And by invest in it, I don't mean scrap heap free agent signings like Chris Conte and Robert Ayers. They'll need a major overhaul, inclusive of first round picks and free agent signings - similar to what Jacksonville's done. It won't happen overnight. They'll probably need this off-season and next. But, make a tangible improvement in 2018, and the playoffs are a possibility. Make another tangible improvement in 2019, just as Winston and Evans are hitting their prime, and you might have something.