Playoffs

tb_buc

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it interesting that both Mariota and Winston have become what a lot of people thought they were. Mariota becoming a lesser Alex Smith and Winston the gunslinger who turns it over too much.

Anyone watch the play in which Johnson sacked Mariota on a blitz and he fumbled. The ref called it as "forward progress" on the field and thus it is not reviewable. So, in this refs view, as soon as the QB is touched he's down and there cannot be a fumble?

Pregame whichever Hasselback was on ripped up Mark Barron for his play vs. the Cardinals last week.

1 hour ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

I find it interesting that both Mariota and Winston have become what a lot of people thought they were. Mariota becoming a lesser Alex Smith and Winston the gunslinger who turns it over too much.

Anyone watch the play in which Johnson sacked Mariota on a blitz and he fumbled. The ref called it as "forward progress" on the field and thus it is not reviewable. So, in this refs view, as soon as the QB is touched he's down and there cannot be a fumble?

Pregame whichever Hasselback was on ripped up Mark Barron for his play vs. the Cardinals last week.

WTF was that call? He clearly dropped the ball before he was down. Maybe his backward progress stopped but how could that not be reviewed and corrected. How? #Cheatin refs. #Stupid refs #fuckgoodell.

I’m not talking about Mariota as a comparison or what if, he’s just the one playing today. After the block he just threw to spring the RB and the energy coming off his bench, I challenge anyone to question his leadership.

Winston showed me in the last 3 games what I needed to see, he is our QB.

12 minutes ago, tb_buc said:

I’m not talking about Mariota as a comparison or what if, he’s just the one playing today. After the block he just threw to spring the RB and the energy coming off his bench, I challenge anyone to question his leadership.

Has anyone done that...at least recently? I think that may have been an issue prior to the draft because of his demeanor. I'd hope that would have passed (the opinion) by now.

This game was a microcosm of the ineptitude of Andy Reid and the limitations of Alex Smith. Rodney Harrison just called Reid out on NBC.

On the TD Pass/Catch, was that the second one in the history of the NFL? I know Brad Johnson had one and I thought that was the only one. It was unlikely to happen much before the shotgun became a regular formation because a QB is ineligible when under center. My son said if that was the Patriots on defense a 750lb lineman would have caught the ball and run it back 100yds for a TD for the defense. :lol:

2 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Need to get that guy to ref all Jameis Winston games.

Mariota isn't better than Winston. In fact, as much criticizing as Winston rightfully received this season for his play, Mariota was much worse.

On the fumble that wasn't that has Sean McDonough being lit up on social media, you can clearly hear at least one whistle as the play is happening. I thought I heard 2.

As much as Gruden and McDonough spent talking about Mike Mularkey and whether he'd have a job after today, more time should have been spent on Andy Reid. Losing playoff games at home, particularly those you lead by 18 at halftime, should have your job in jeapardy.

2 hours ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

Mariota isn't better than Winston. In fact, as much criticizing as Winston rightfully received this season for his play, Mariota was much worse.

On the fumble that wasn't that has Sean McDonough being lit up on social media, you can clearly hear at least one whistle as the play is happening. I thought I heard 2.

As much as Gruden and McDonough spent talking about Mike Mularkey and whether he'd have a job after today, more time should have been spent on Andy Reid. Losing playoff games at home, particularly those you lead by 18 at halftime, should have your job in jeapardy.

Mariota has dealt with injuries, an overly vanilla offense, and an almost complete lack of talented guys to throw to. They drafted Corey Davis and he was hurt for most of the year. Despite that, he’s shown great leadership and led them into the playoffs. 

Winston has real potential. But the main issue with him isn’t the O-Line sucking, lacking running game, or ineffective coaching. It’s his lack of maturity, discipline, and real leadership. Eating W’s and other immature and incomprehensive stunts aren’t real leadership. He’s a young guy and could still develop in those areas. But as each year passes and those issues persist, it becomes less likely he becomes the leader we need. 

If the Bucs had the Titans STs and defense then Winston would have led the Bucs to the playoffs and would have won more games than the Titans. If Tennessee had the Bucs STs and defense, they would have won a couple of games "led" by Mariota. I don't dislike Mariota but his year couldn't have been more blah than it was. Whatever the cause of your bias, it is clearly clouding your ability to evaluate these two guys. This is from someone who has some serious concerns about Winston....at least in getting to a top 8-10 QB if not better.

1 hour ago, Gulf Shore Steve said:

If the Bucs had the Titans STs and defense then Winston would have led the Bucs to the playoffs and would have won more games than the Titans. If Tennessee had the Bucs STs and defense, they would have won a couple of games "led" by Mariota. I don't dislike Mariota but his year couldn't have been more blah than it was. Whatever the cause of your bias, it is clearly clouding your ability to evaluate these two guys. This is from someone who has some serious concerns about Winston....at least in getting to a top 8-10 QB if not better.

I disagree. Who would Winston have thrown the ball to? He has as many talented weapons to throw to as anyone in the league and the passing game was lackluster. 

Each team has its issues. Mariota overcame the Titans’ and led them to the playoffs. Winston melted down and led a team most thought should be in the playoffs to four wins. 

Archived