Sign in to follow this  
Bucaroo Bonzai

How violent is the NFL going to get?

So they've got all these rules essentially castrating the game, and yet the penalty for cheap hits that are nearly career ending for opponents is just short of trivial. Apparently, if you're a Patriot, you can attempt to break someone's neck after the play without worrying about a penalty.

There are a cluster of players crossing the line in a manner we haven't see in decades, and the penalties are minimal fines and 1-2 game suspensions. I think we'll see a lot more of these hits and in short order, someone will either be a paraplegic or dead, especially as the season comes to an end and games become meaningless to some teams. JMHO.

They've substituted the big hit within the rules of the game for the cheap shot well outside the rules.

Thoughtful semi-non-linear subtleties are difficult for us most informeds but not quite the smartest fans on the Internet, Bonz.

Goodell just signed a 5 year extension.

The game will accelerate on its path to Chernobyl

Gronk is made of glass, so just have a 300lb interior lineman blindside him one time and he will be done for the season. Problem solved.

That’s what I’m saying. Of course then Bonz’s point becomes more visible, as “police actions”are taken on by scrubs, like goons in the NHL.

Shazier underwent spinal stabilization surgery today. The lack of info coming out about his situation is probably not a good sign.

They are actually talking never playing football again...if he's lucky, i.e., walking again is coming into question.

This goes to the absolute stupidity of crown of head first contact at speed. It is stupid beyond belief. No amount of reasonable helmet and/or padding is going to prevent possible spine or neck injuries. All forms of sports (rugby, football, martial arts etc) should ban any form of heavy, at speed contact with the crown of head first. In football that would be tackles, running, etc. If you tip the crown of your helmet down to the point it is the lead part of your body while moving at speed, it should be banned and penalized. Nothing good comes of it in any contact sport.

They are actually talking never playing football again...if he's lucky, i.e., walking again is coming into question.

This goes to the absolute stupidity of crown of head first contact at speed. It is stupid beyond belief. No amount of reasonable helmet and/or padding is going to prevent possible spine or neck injuries. All forms of sports (rugby, football, martial arts etc) should ban any form of heavy, at speed contact with the crown of head first. In football that would be tackles, running, etc. If you tip the crown of your helmet down to the point it is the lead part of your body while moving at speed, it should be banned and penalized. Nothing good comes of it in any contact sport.

Shazier dropped his head, so it wasn't the crown but more like the back side of the top of the head. Tundra Jr pointed this out to me and he was right. You could see how the energy went right down his back and resulted in his grave injury.

With some it can't be coached out of them. In little league ball probably 12 years ago, there was a kid who joined my son's team who would tackle by essentially snapping his head forward upon contact and whack the ball carrier or blocker with the crown of his helmet. Even in those days we tried as hard as we could to teach proper form in tackling and we tried everything with the kid to break him of the habit. We pulled him out of practice, games, talked to his parents, and nothing worked. He was a pretty good player too so the head coach was never happy he had to take him out. Thankfully the kid stopped playing before getting to HS ball and went on to a fine life of drugs and alcohol like most kids do. He's still alive today according to my son.