Sign in to follow this  
Bucaroo Bonzai

How violent is the NFL going to get?

So they've got all these rules essentially castrating the game, and yet the penalty for cheap hits that are nearly career ending for opponents is just short of trivial.  Apparently, if you're a Patriot, you can attempt to break someone's neck after the play without worrying about a penalty.

There are a cluster of players crossing the line in a manner we haven't see in decades, and the penalties are minimal fines and 1-2 game suspensions.  I think we'll see a lot more of these hits and in short order, someone will either be a paraplegic or dead, especially as the season comes to an end and games become meaningless to some teams.  JMHO.

They've substituted the big hit within the rules of the game for the cheap shot well outside the rules.

So they've got all these rules essentially castrating the game, and yet the penalty for cheap hits that are nearly career ending for opponents is just short of trivial.  Apparently, if you're a Patriot, you can attempt to break someone's neck after the play without worrying about a penalty.

There are a cluster of players crossing the line in a manner we haven't see in decades, and the penalties are minimal fines and 1-2 game suspensions.  I think we'll see a lot more of these hits and in short order, someone will either be a paraplegic or dead, especially as the season comes to an end and games become meaningless to some teams.  JMHO.

They've substituted the big hit within the rules of the game for the cheap shot well outside the rules.

Goodell is a corporate stooge with no self awareness as to the shit show he’s created. The hypocrisy reeks like a dead rodent under the refrigerator.

Fuck Goodell, fuck the NFL, fuck the Glazers, fuck Mike Smith, fuck Dork Klutter, fuck Swaggy Baker and especially fuck Charles Sims.

And the rest of them.

Its been violent for many years.

Maybe you just are not old enough to remember.

Read my post....the violence of the game isn't the issue.  The issue is that we now have violence outside the game....blatant cheap shots taken well after the play with the intent to knock star players out of the game because the penalty is trivial.

My point is that the game is becoming more dangerous than in recent decades because they are taking very dangerous shots after the play is over.  The highlight reel would be of players making the big catch, falling down out of bound, and then having someone jump on their neck because they were upset they didn't make the play.

This shit has been going on for decades. During the play and after the play. Fines today and suspensions today are what they should be.

So Gronk gets frustrated and hits a guy after the whistle. Cheap as hell, I agree. But he also gets fined and suspended. What more do you want? Lifetime ban from one late hit? Jail time?

This game has gotten just about as pussy as I can take it.

You mean it has evolved to the point where it smells like day old tuna?

These athletic TV star divas and the game are not what made the league the greatest American sport just a few generations ago.

I wonder if you were to ask Butkus, Lott, Lynch, Youngblood, if the NFL today is more violent than when they played, they might spit out their fake teeth in laughter.

It's typical that this conversation would deteriorate into some form of "it was more violent in my day" which isn't the point.

If the NFL is serious about player safety...or at least as safe as it can be....then they need to deal with some of the shit we've seen over the last month or so in a much more fastidious fashion. As Gruden said on Monday Night "I'd like to know what you need to get kicked out of a game these days" after the hit on Burfict.

It's typical that this conversation would deteriorate into some form of "it was more violent in my day" which isn't the point.

If the NFL is serious about player safety...or at least as safe as it can be....then they need to deal with some of the shit we've seen over the last month or so in a much more fastidious fashion. As Gruden said on Monday Night "I'd like to know what you need to get kicked out of a game these days" after the hit on Burfict.

I believe Ju Ju has suspended for the Burfict hit. More fastidious discipline would have to come from the refs. Aren't rules already in place for disqualification? What else can be done other than time out for a review of each personal foul by some authority to determine if disqualification is appropriate? 

And then they still need serious suspensions and fines.

Goodell is a corporate stooge with no self awareness as to the shit show he’s created. The hypocrisy reeks like a dead rodent under the refrigerator.

Fuck Goodell, fuck the NFL, fuck the Glazers, fuck Mike Smith, fuck Dork Klutter, fuck Swaggy Baker and especially fuck Charles Sims.

And the rest of them.

Goodell just signed a 5 year extension.

I believe Ju Ju has suspended for the Burfict hit. More fastidious discipline would have to come from the refs. Aren't rules already in place for disqualification? What else can be done other than time out for a review of each personal foul by some authority to determine if disqualification is appropriate? 

And then they still need serious suspensions and fines.

I don't know how, with the assumption teams are trying to get rid of these types of plays, that JJSS wasn't kicked out. I'm not sure the referees have either the wherewithall or expectation from the league to throw guys out of the game. I also thought Mike Evans should have been kicked out as well when he hit the guy that Jameis was diddling with.

The senile checking in.

Makes me think how good it might be to be senile. It might take a couple decades or so but by then I can be told the Bucs won the Super Bowl every year. Or hell, every week. And when I start shit and act like an asshole with my son in law or other poor bastards it'll be blamed on that instead of me just being a sociopathic asshole. And fuckem if they don't like that or my repeated requests for the official NFL Depends with the Bucs logo. Printed on the front not the back damnit!

Makes me think how good it might be to be senile. It might take a couple decades or so but by then I can be told the Bucs won the Super Bowl every year. Or hell, every week. And when I start shit and act like an asshole with my son in law or other poor bastards it'll be blamed on that instead of me just being a sociopathic asshole. And fuckem if they don't like that or my repeated requests for the official NFL Depends with the Bucs logo. Printed on the front not the back damnit!

So you know Brent well I see?

Again, these hits are of a different nature....well after the whistle and done out of anger/spite.  

I disagree that the after whistle hits were like this back in the day.  Guys weren't diving on people's necks after the play.  Back in the day, the league had more power and could have banned such players.  Also, because the sport was more violent between the whistles, players wouldn't have tried what Gronk did because they knew that the retaliation would be pretty severe.

My issue isn't that there are hard hits during the game, but rather that players are taking these extremely dangerous cheap shots at defenseless players well after the play has ended.  The end result is that the game is worse to watch and possibly a lot more dangerous.  IMHO if it continues, think we'll see one of the worst neck/head injuries in NFL history, and unlike hits during the play, I could see charges pressed.

Don't get me wrong, I like watching hard hits like anyone else.  The Sapp block was practically a thing of beauty.  However, this stuff is of a different nature.  Instead of not making the play because of a hard hit, they are making the clutch play, and then after the play is over, the person who choked takes a career ending shot at them.

I don't know how, with the assumption teams are trying to get rid of these types of plays, that JJSS wasn't kicked out. I'm not sure the referees have either the wherewithall or expectation from the league to throw guys out of the game. I also thought Mike Evans should have been kicked out as well when he hit the guy that Jameis was diddling with.

Gronk wasn't penalized during the game, and frankly a one game suspension isn't going to stop this type of behavior.

Gronk is made of glass, so just have a 300lb interior lineman blindside him one time and he will be done for the season. Problem solved.

Except we now have these extreme contact rules, so these late hits that are way beyond anything we've seen in decades, aren't easily corrected by retaliation during the game.  The very rules attempting to make the game safer are likely going to result in severe injuries because the league doesn't have harsh penalties for such extreme behaviors.