Sign in to follow this  
Dunn_Deal28

QB - Long Term...

Contract Extension...  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Does Winston sign an extension with the Bucs in 2019?

Presuming he doesn't play again in 2017, if he duplicates his 2016 season in 2018, do the Bucs sign him to a long-term deal or does he go the way of Freeman and leave the Bucs searching for a QB yet again?

Not intending this to be a bait thread. Honest question as it relates to the long-term direction of the franchise. 

I read somewhere the other day that no QB ever drafted by the Bucs has received a second contract.  So there's that.

But your whole premise is predicated on a bounce back season (at the least) in 2018, so the answer to your question seems pre-loaded.

I read somewhere the other day that no QB ever drafted by the Bucs has received a second contract.  So there's that.

But your whole premise is predicated on a bounce back season (at the least) in 2018, so the answer to your question seems pre-loaded.

Just trying to put some context to it. 

Didn't King get another deal? I thought they brought him back on a one year deal after the SB. Admittedly, it was in a back up role. But, still. 

Two of them led their teams to Super Bowl Championships after leaving Tampa.

Just sayin'

If you count picking Steve Young in the USFL Supplemental Drat, that would be three.

1st step is whether the Bucs pick up the 5th year option. That'd be prior to next year (much like Evans this season) and I assume it will get picked up simply because it will be for much less than any other deal they'd come up with for a QB at that point. They can then franchise him for a year or even two years if whoever it is that is coaching isn't convinced but wants to keep him.

My answer to the question is no but that doesn't mean he won't be the QB for the Bucs at that point.

1st step is whether the Bucs pick up the 5th year option. That'd be prior to next year (much like Evans this season) and I assume it will get picked up simply because it will be for much less than any other deal they'd come up with for a QB at that point. They can then franchise him for a year or even two years if whoever it is that is coaching isn't convinced but wants to keep him.

My answer to the question is no but that doesn't mean he won't be the QB for the Bucs at that point.

Good point on the franchise tag, especially if there is a regime change.

I personally think the Buccaneers are headed towards a regime change this year. Potentially even a sale to new ownership.

With that said I think they draft a QB in round 2 or 3 and pick up Winston's 5th year option. Then a real QB battle happens in training camp.

Then they have the option of keeping Winston or not at the end of the season. If they keep Winston they have an excellent backup or trade bait.

Have the Bucs EVER re-signed a drafted QB?

Not that I am aware of.

Doug William, Vinny Testaverde, Trent Dilfer, Shaun King, Josh Freeman, Mike Glennon, Craig Erickson, Josh Johnson, Bruce Gradkowski and Chris Simms all did not get to a second contract.

Simms signed an extension even after he had the injury to his spleen and was never the same even marginal talent he was in the first place. He was the Glazers boy.

Just being technical... was this an initial contract option or a new contract?