Sign in to follow this  
Ramsforever

When you think your announcing team sucks...

Beth Mowins is fine. She does college games all the time with no issues. Rex needs to talk a bit more.

What she says is fine, but her voice reminded me of a cat getting fucked by a great dane. Couldn't stand her. And Rex will be ok eventually, it was his first time. The chemistry between the two was lacking, she probably didnt't let him lick her feet.    :VomitSmiley:

Who?

That conversation actually did occur with my father in law, my nephew's wife's father (who's about 75), my 20 year old at the time son and nephew who's in his early 30's a couple of years ago. The two old guys then went on for about an hour complaining how basketball used to be much better back then. Cleared the room in a hurry. 

I didn't like the tandem but I disliked Rex much more than what's her name. She did fine. No Doris Burke but every bit as passable as most other Jodons doing play by play.

Rex, on the other hand...

He was fuckin atrocious. He's just kind of got a clunky demeanor. Gruden is good at it because he's effusive. Madden was good at it because he was effusive. Dicky V, effusive. Billy Packer, effusive.

The only other thing you can be in this color commentary game is knowledgeable. But then you walk that fine line between Troy Aikman and Brian Billick. Len Elmore was one of the most knowledgeable and genuine color men ever and he just got run out at BSPN. John Lynch well on his way before he thought it'd be a good idea to be a GM. Clearly no longer on the "knowledgeable" list.

Rex came off as just some old dude watching a game. Maybe his name kept him employed, maybe it was his boisterous persona. Neither of those is going to keep him on screen though barring rapid improvement.

While we're at it... You know who has surprised me in the knowledge and respect for the game category? Randy Moss. Dude could hardly speak when he first went on, but he knows the game well. Not Kurt Warner well, but purtty good.

I didn't like the tandem but I disliked Rex much more than what's her name. She did fine. No Doris Burke but every bit as passable as most other Jodons doing play by play.

Rex, on the other hand...

He was fuckin atrocious. He's just kind of got a clunky demeanor. Gruden is good at it because he's effusive. Madden was good at it because he was effusive. Dicky V, effusive. Billy Packer, effusive.

The only other thing you can be in this color commentary game is knowledgeable. But then you walk that fine line between Troy Aikman and Brian Billick. Len Elmore was one of the most knowledgeable and genuine color men ever and he just got run out at BSPN. John Lynch well on his way before he thought it'd be a good idea to be a GM. Clearly no longer on the "knowledgeable" list.

Rex came off as just some old dude watching a game. Maybe his name kept him employed, maybe it was his boisterous persona. Neither of those is going to keep him on screen though barring rapid improvement.

While we're at it... You know who has surprised me in the knowledge and respect for the game category? Randy Moss. Dude could hardly speak when he first went on, but he knows the game well. Not Kurt Warner well, but purtty good.

I enjoy Randy Moss, especially after learning about his life in West Virginia.

I didn't like the tandem but I disliked Rex much more than what's her name. She did fine. No Doris Burke but every bit as passable as most other Jodons doing play by play. Rex, on the other hand... He was fuckin atrocious. He's just kind of got a clunky demeanor. Gruden is good at it because he's effusive. Madden was good at it because he was effusive. Dicky V, effusive. Billy Packer, effusive. The only other thing you can be in this color commentary game is knowledgeable. But then you walk that fine line between Troy Aikman and Brian Billick. Len Elmore was one of the most knowledgeable and genuine color men ever and he just got run out at BSPN. John Lynch well on his way before he thought it'd be a good idea to be a GM. Clearly no longer on the "knowledgeable" list. Rex came off as just some old dude watching a game. Maybe his name kept him employed, maybe it was his boisterous persona. Neither of those is going to keep him on screen though barring rapid improvement. While we're at it... You know who has surprised me in the knowledge and respect for the game category? Randy Moss. Dude could hardly speak when he first went on, but he knows the game well. Not Kurt Warner well, but purtty good.

Moss is pretty good. Ryan was just nothing. He didn't talk. You couldn't hear him when he talked. What you could here wasn't anything much. Complete flop. He apparently was brought in more to be part of whatever the name of ESPN's Sunday show is these days. Maybe he'll be better in studio where they stick to a script. He likely was hired because he's always had the quick quip at the mic in a press conference.

Beth Mowens' problem isn't her knowledge or content. She says appropriate stuff.

It's her voice. It lacks depth and projection, and not because it's high pitched. It's not. Plenary of women on network news, sports, and weather anchor gigs sound great. She should learn from it or go back to doing D-2 college games.