JOEinPHX

Pro Bowl Player

• Members
  • 319 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

Bucs OC to DeSean Jackson: We gave you the money, you need to be great
Posted by Josh Alper on May 19, 2017, 8:08 AM EDT

When players sign with new teams as free agents, there is often a moment when they are asked why they opted to join up with the club.

The reasons cited can run the gamut from teammates to coaches to scheme, but those decisions usually have money as a motivating factor. Football players have a limited window to earn big money and free agency at a prime age is a good way to maximize those earnings, something wide receiver DeSean Jackson learned this offseason.

Jackson signed a three-year deal with the Buccaneers worth up to $33.5 million, which offensive coordinator Todd Monken says is the reason why Jackson is in Tampa. And he says he’s made it clear to Jackson what the team expects for their money.

“I’ve told him that we have paid you a hell of a lot of money to be a damn good player,” Monken said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “We’re not paying you a lot of money, this is a contract where we’re paying you for what you’ve done for us . . . we’re not paying like [Derek] Jeter the last three years . . . we don’t have any old street cred that we’re paying you. No. We need you to be a great player now. Okay? That’s why we gave you the money. You came here because of the money. Don’t give me all that bull about you came here because of the weather and Jameis. No. You came here because we paid you the most. You need to play like that. He gets that. He’s smart enough to understand that.”

On paper, pairing Jackson with Mike Evans was a major upgrade even before the Bucs added tight end O.J. Howard in the first round of the draft. The abilities of the three men and the different ways they manifest on the field look like a recipe for offensive success. That comes at a price, but it’s one the team will be happy to pay if the results are as expected.

http://profootballta...ed-to-be-great/

• Tundra likes this

#2 bucs63

bucs63

HOF

• Members
  • 11,312 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Moe Money didn't come for the weather in training camp, that's for sure.

#3 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

Bucs OC to DeSean Jackson: We gave you the money, you need to be great

Posted by Josh Alper on May 19, 2017, 8:08 AM EDT

When players sign with new teams as free agents, there is often a moment when they are asked why they opted to join up with the club.

The reasons cited can run the gamut from teammates to coaches to scheme, but those decisions usually have money as a motivating factor. Football players have a limited window to earn big money and free agency at a prime age is a good way to maximize those earnings, something wide receiver DeSean Jackson learned this offseason.

Jackson signed a three-year deal with the Buccaneers worth up to $33.5 million, which offensive coordinator Todd Monken says is the reason why Jackson is in Tampa. And he says he’s made it clear to Jackson what the team expects for their money.

“I’ve told him that we have paid you a hell of a lot of money to be a damn good player,” Monken said, via the Tampa Bay Times. “We’re not paying you a lot of money, this is a contract where we’re paying you for what you’ve done for us . . . we’re not paying like [Derek] Jeter the last three years . . . we don’t have any old street cred that we’re paying you. No. We need you to be a great player now. Okay? That’s why we gave you the money. You came here because of the money. Don’t give me all that bull about you came here because of the weather and Jameis. No. You came here because we paid you the most. You need to play like that. He gets that. He’s smart enough to understand that.”

On paper, pairing Jackson with Mike Evans was a major upgrade even before the Bucs added tight end O.J. Howard in the first round of the draft. The abilities of the three men and the different ways they manifest on the field look like a recipe for offensive success. That comes at a price, but it’s one the team will be happy to pay if the results are as expected.

http://profootballta...ed-to-be-great/

Fuckin awesome. Way to be straight with him, Todd. Get working out, Desean, be in the best shape of your fucking life for the upcoming season. 

I love the culture of candor on this team, Dirk has infused straight talk throughout the players and coaching staff.  

xiSCDzH1_400x400.png

#4 Buc

Buc

Why is the rum gone?!?

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:00 PM

was kinda shocked when i read the article

but it IS a business and Monken just set the record straight

I dont care who you are or how much ur being paid you have to produce at that level

accountability baby - gotta love this coaching staff

#5 Gulf Shore Steve

Gulf Shore Steve

MVP

• Members
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:47 AM

Fuckin awesome. Way to be straight with him, Todd. Get working out, Desean, be in the best shape of your fucking life for the upcoming season. 

I love the culture of candor on this team, Dirk has infused straight talk throughout the players and coaching staff.  

I can only imagine the "discussion" Mike Bajakian is having with Jameis after today's big signing. If there was EVER a player on notice, it should be Jameis Winston.

• Dunn_Deal28 likes this

#HatetheHateonHump

#6 bucs63

bucs63

HOF

• Members
  • 11,312 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:02 AM

I can only imagine the "discussion" Mike Bajakian is having with Jameis after today's big signing. If there was EVER a player on notice, it should be Jameis Winston.

What? The face of the franchise? Bajakian was probably suckin Jameisis dick when the news of the signing came out. So the discussion probably sounded something like "Hmm shlllg hmm shlllg guuah..."

• Tundra likes this

#7 shabazz916

shabazz916

MVP

• Members
  • 4,246 posts
  • LocationPlanet Winner

Posted 20 May 2017 - 02:35 AM

Jackson always plays well tho. He isnt going to be covered by top corners so he will feast on number #2's he might have even better chances once teams are forced to respect howard, brate & the run
  • JOEinPHX likes this

#8 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 05:21 AM

What? The face of the franchise? Bajakian was probably suckin Jameisis dick when the news of the signing came out. So the discussion probably sounded something like "Hmm shlllg hmm shlllg guuah..."

Nice sound effects. Oh, and it appears the retarded white boy who likes to have alter egos, wear shoulder pads and a crooked dumbass looking baseball cap, and pretends he's black have something to say? 

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by shabazz916View it anyway?

:whatever 

dmb cnt jsseshbzghstrp fkwd dchbg mrn dmfk idt 

xiSCDzH1_400x400.png

#9 Dunn_Deal28

Dunn_Deal28

MVP

• Members
  • 17,915 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

From the comments, you can tell that Monken comes from the college ranks. 

#10 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

From the comments, you can tell that Monken comes from the college ranks. 

And I'm loving his straight candor. Interesting, I wonder if Desean gave him a feeling that he was coming down to Tampa for a semi-retirement party and play off his natural talent type thing. Several tens of gazillion dollars is a bit too much to pay a decoy. 

• Dunn_Deal28 likes this

xiSCDzH1_400x400.png

#11 Regulator16

Regulator16

MVP

• Members
  • 3,318 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:41 PM

And I'm loving his straight candor. Interesting, I wonder if Desean gave him a feeling that he was coming down to Tampa for a semi-retirement party and play off his natural talent type thing. Several tens of gazillion dollars is a bit too much to pay a decoy. 

I don't think Desean came down here for that purpose entirely. Yes he came here probably because we were throwing the most money his way. But I'm more than sure he had other teams that were willing to pay him roughly the same, if not the exact same amount. I think he definitely sees the potential of getting to that place that all great athletes strive to end up...NO NOT KIM KARDASHIAN'S PANTIES...the Super Bowl...being the WORLD CHAMPS!

And I think he knows Tampa is headed in that direction and could get him there. I don't think i've ever seen a more explosive offense in Tampa in my life, and I think we have the right leaders in our coaching staff and in the locker room to finally get us to where we need to be. It may not be this year, but I will definitely say, before Desean's time in Tampa is up...he will be a Super Bowl Champion!

74157 1492637183753 Gildan Men Black  W92  front

#12 Craig B.

Craig B.

MVP

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

Regulator, that's a great point.  Like you, I'm sure he had other offers pretty close to the Bucs' offer (within 100-200K?).  That's chump change to these guys, so there's more than likely a lot of truth to why he says he chose Tampa Bay.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.--compliments of AndyG

#13 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

Regardless, love it that Monken stated that publicly, put him on notice, and Desean can't complain. The Bucs track record with high priced FA WRs over the years has not been stellar. Thinking about Alvin AAAALLLLLVVVIIIINNN Harper, Bert Emanuel, and their kind.

VJax is an exception. McCardell wasn't high priced, nor was Jurevicius, and those two would be the best Bucs FA WRs. Thanks, Jon.  

• Dunn_Deal28 likes this

xiSCDzH1_400x400.png

#14 jspaldin

jspaldin

MVP

• Members
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:11 PM

Well Shannon Sharpe has a bee up his bonnet about this. He seems to think it is demeaning or something.

It's a new day Bucs fans......

ee6b8c8bcc016a739cb86af284c0f7bf.gif

#15 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

Another reason, when a guy gets paid, two to one he disappears and never has the success he had to earn the big money. All across the league. Monken is looking at Evans coming on a big pay day soon, and Desean arriving means at least one of the blue collar scrubs that Monken is loyal to will need to be cut. So Monken is putting the pretty boy on notice that he better be ready to work hard and produce. No worries.

It only becomes a problem if Monken is a raging prick to him, which wouldn't make any sense and no way Koetter or Licht or Jameis sit by and watch that happen.

All good.

xiSCDzH1_400x400.png

#16 Craig B.

Craig B.

MVP

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:50 PM

The Bucs track record with high priced FA WRs over the years has not been stellar. Thinking about Alvin AAAALLLLLVVVIIIINNN Harper, Bert Emanuel, and their kind.

WTF are you talking about?  Bert caught the driv-sustaining pass from King in the 1999 NFCG..........oh fuck, wait a minute..............

• bucs63 and Tundra like this
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.--compliments of AndyG

#17 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

WTF are you talking about?  Bert caught the driv-sustaining pass from King in the 1999 NFCG..........oh fuck, wait a minute..............

Exactly. Any receiver deemed "good" and it would have been called a catch and not overturned. The refs looked at Bert Hurt and said "This guy sucks too much to make a catch like that" and so it was ruled incomplete. 

That still gets me more than any other bad call even the leaping penalty from 2003. 

:anger:

• Craig B. likes this

xiSCDzH1_400x400.png

#18 bucs63

bucs63

HOF

• Members
  • 11,312 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:05 PM

Exactly. Any receiver deemed "good" and it would have been called a catch and not overturned. The refs looked at Bert Hurt and said "This guy sucks too much to make a catch like that" and so it was ruled incomplete. 

That still gets me more than any other bad call even the leaping penalty from 2003. 

:anger:

Maybe any team not the Yucs and it would've been called correctly. Fuck the fuckin cheatin fuck refs.

#19 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

Maybe any team not the Yucs and it would've been called correctly. Fuck the fuckin cheatin fuck refs.

They stole a Super Bowl for that '99 defense. Hardy would have a ring as a Buc. :angry:

xiSCDzH1_400x400.png

#20 Gulf Shore Steve

Gulf Shore Steve

MVP

• Members
  • 20,852 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:00 AM

King wasn't getting the Bucs into the endzone anyway.

#HatetheHateonHump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users