• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SF

SF

Snook is my Bitch

• Members
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:30 AM

I've known about the Bud Grant for a few years, and just read he is still at it at age 90. This year he agreed to a bobblehead and had a bunch with autographs available at his sale:

133745341f3d4d49a95d05ad33e12cac.jpeg?w=

The guy is God in Minnesota. Still lives in the same ranch style house from before he was the Vikings coach. Married his first only wife in 1950 (she died in 2009) and raised six kids. 

I had a friend who played for the Vikings in the 60's said Grant was a prick as a coach, but to see how this guy continues to be embraced by Viking fans and the community is pretty touching.

http://www.espn.com/...sold-in-seconds

s-l300.jpg

#2 MadMac

MadMac

Screw it - let's ride!

• Moderators
  • 5,840 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:09 AM

Good to see he looks the same as he did in the sidelines in the 1970s.....

But seriously, the dude was a great coach, and I read where his persona off the field was a lot more vivacious than his sideline persona. I even recall a Hubert Mizell article about him back in the day along the same lines.
  • Tundra likes this
"I don't know whether to shit or shine my shoes."

#3 BuccinA

BuccinA

Lakota

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:44 AM

The great Stoneface. He has a poker face on the sidelines that you couldn't tell if his team was 20 points ahead or behind.
Since I wasn't a fan of the Vikings during his heyday which was in the 70's, all I can rely on him being the hard as coach that he was were from articles .
Back in the days of a 6 game preseason, he played his starters thruout. The original idea of that 6 game preseason was to get the returning players into playing shape since a vast majority of players fell out of that playing shape with offseason jobs.
Playing a second teamer without an injury to a starter was not in his coaching. I read that he said that he could find out about a second team player or a rookie by how they did in practice. If you outplayed a starter in practice, then you were the new starter.
A shame that he never won a Super Bowl, tho he did win one NFL championship in '69 before the leagues merged into the NFC and AFC.
<p>LakotaWarriors-1898.jpgGun Control is not about Guns, its about Control

#4 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,332 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:54 PM

What a man. 

xiSCDzH1_400x400.png

#5 Wat

Wat

MVP

• Members
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

Bud Grant used a huddling tactic that was so effective that the league installed a new rule to prevent it.  His defensive huddles would have as many as 15 players – 5 linemen, 4 linebackers and 6 defensive backs.  Four would run off the field as soon as the offensive team broke its huddle.  Until that time, the offensive team did not know which defensive players would stay in for the play.  The defensive lineup they would face might be 4-3-4, 5-0-6, 4-2-5 or any other combination.  They would have to call their offensive signals without knowing this.  Some teams used a hurry-up offense all game long to avoid giving Grant time for all the player shuffling.

The new rule made it illegal to have more than 11 players in the huddles.

• Tundra likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users