• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 BucForce

BucForce

MVP

• Members
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:54 AM

Dalvin Cook falling in the draft due to "sabotage"??

http://www.prosports...rticleId=464414

#82 bucs63

bucs63

HOF

• Members
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:03 AM

"Cook, who had a record-breaking career with the Seminoles, is expected to be a first- or second-round pick in this week’s draft."

Second round? Expected to be?

#83 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,153 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:23 AM

Some of these pinheads lack the simple intellectual processes to even qualify as retarded. Even if they wore shoulder pads. 

• Dunn_Deal28 likes this

bucs_wordlogo.png

#84 Regulator16

Regulator16

MVP

• Members
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:13 AM

Cook 2017!
74157 1492637183753 Gildan Men Black  W92  front

#85 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,153 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:19 AM

Cook 2017!

Jameel? Look what's cookin' ?
  • Dunn_Deal28 likes this

bucs_wordlogo.png

#86 Gulf Shore Steve

Gulf Shore Steve

MVP

• Members
  • 20,768 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:33 AM

Jameel? Look what's cookin' ?

I think that's Reg's problem. He thinks this is noted FB Jameel Cook in the draft when it is Dalvin "I'm going in Rd 2" Cook.

• Tundra likes this

#87 Regulator16

Regulator16

MVP

• Members
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

Both wrong! Im talking Gordon Ramsey!

#88 jspaldin

jspaldin

MVP

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

The above article on Cook links to another article that has more detail, but is an insanely loaded with crap type page that's hard to read. It does seem to verify that Cook is being defamed by outside forces, as somewhat verified by MMQB. Here is the main part on the sabotage issue:

There’s the sabotage that Cook has done to himself. There’s the sabotage that is a result of the environment he grew up in. And then there’s the sabotage that has come from others.

Tony Villani is not the saboteur. He runs XPE Sports in Boca Raton, one of a handful of preferred South Florida training spots for NFL players and ex-collegians preparing for the combine. Cook arrived in January, committed to perfecting his burst from a three-point stance, something he never had occasion to improve over three years and 5,399 yards from scrimmage as a Seminole, breaking Warrick Dunn's career rushing record in the process. Cook showed up on time, he listened, and he learned, Villani says.

“I see a kid from inner-city Miami-Dade tearing up the field, and you’re expecting this cocky kid to walk in,” Villani says, “but he’s almost too humble and quiet. I’m sitting here trying to show Dalvin Cook how to put his foot in the ground and cut and do all these things, and he’s all about it.

“I loved him. When the top guy works as hard as he does, he makes your whole group better.”

To Villani’s surprise, after the Senior Bowl he started getting calls from scouts and coaches suggesting the opposite. He was told that an agent had started a rumor at the all-star game: Cook was showing up to workouts late—if he came at all—that he’d arrived with alcohol on his breath on occasion, and with unsavory characters from the neighborhood in tow.

“I told these guys, You know me, you know I’m not going to lie to you… you’ve got it wrong,” Villani says. “It got to the point where I felt I had to go to Dalvin’s agent and tell him about what people were saying.”

The MMQB spoke with representatives from nine NFL teams on the topic of Cook, and two scouts independently cited the same man as the source of several unverified Cook rumors. This man isn’t a certified agent, but a “runner,” a sort of industry free agent who helps certified agents recruit players during the draft process.

Villani says he swore off engaging in any business dealings with this runner years ago when he stiffed XPE on a client’s bill. A scout familiar with the runner suggested he might have had an informal business relationship with Cook before the prospect settled on different representation, though when told the runner’s name, Cook said he’d never heard of him.

Says Villani: “Unfortunately, with so many people out to make a buck off these kids before the draft, it’s the wild, wild west.”

Cook says he doesn’t pay attention to the various quotes from anonymous NFL sources expressing concern, but the one quote that irked the running back’s camp, if not Cook himself, came from an evaluator in a piece by Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller. “The pattern of bad decisions [is] alarming, really,” a scout told Miller. “With my job on the line, I trust [Joe] Mixon a lot more than Dalvin Cook.”

Mixon was seen on videotape slugging an Oklahoma coed in a Norman restaurant, breaking four bones in her face. (Last week it was announced that a settlement had been reached on the civil suit brought by the victim.) Mixon is considered as talented a runner as any in this draft, though he’s projected to fall to the second or third round as a result of the incident. “People are gonna write what they’re gonna write,” says Betty Cook. “But they don’t know Dalvin Cook. That is not Dalvin Cook that they’re writing about. In a way it bothers me, and in a way it don’t, because I know it’s just talk.”

Taken individually, all of the incidents surrounding Cook can be explained away by allies painting him as a victim of circumstances. But several teams have judged Cook as a chronic off-field concern, and a player who isn’t worth the headache. Of the nine teams polled by The MMQB, three said they had no interest in Cook because of his off-field track record. Said one NFC general manager, “he’s not off our board, but there are many concerns.”

Cook says he didn’t prepare for combine interviews with a paid tutor, like many of his fellow prospects now do. One team was dissatisfied enough with Cook’s interview that they eliminated him from consideration for their first-round pick.

“I just felt like I went in there and I was honest as could be,” Cook says. “Just be yourself. That’s just going to take care of itself. I love ball. I know ball. So, you know, that part is well taken care of.”

Fisher says he would be genuinely surprised if Cook didn’t succeed in the NFL. He cited Cook’s maturity, and a unique understanding of and love for the game. He was also irked by the scout’s quote. “That’s why the guy’s a scout and not a coach,” Fisher says. “When you coach a guy you know a guy. He loves ball and he’s a good person.”

Where Cook goes in the draft is anyone’s guess. Miss Betty believes the Eagles are very interested—they were the only team to reach out to her personally. Eagles running backs coach Duce Staley called her to talk about Dalvin’s character. “He was just telling me how much he wants Dalvin,” the proud grandmother beams. “He said ‘But I don’t think he’ll be there with the 14th pick, Miss Betty.’”

Dalvin isn’t worried about where he lands. He’s concerned with the next chapter, making it out of Dade and earning life-changing money. He wants the kind of success that makes anonymous scouts glad they stayed anonymous.

“Everybody got their own opinion,” Cook says. “It ain’t nothing to me but entertainment. I just work hard, wake up everyday with the same mindset. At the end of the day, when you successful, everybody’s opinion gonna change.”

It's a new day Bucs fans......

ee6b8c8bcc016a739cb86af284c0f7bf.gif

#89 Regulator16

Regulator16

MVP

• Members
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

Seeing rumors Bucs in talks to trade down...

...COOK 2017!

#90 jspaldin

jspaldin

MVP

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

So, does this article placate NFL teams or does Cook really fall into the 2nd? I just can't see Cook getting past the Cowboys and Patriots of the late first round over this situation. It would have been 'nice' for the Bucs if Cook did slip into the second round because I could seriously entertain the idea of then trading up for him, but this article and the people cited in it might change team draft attitudes on this pretty quick.

#91 bucs63

bucs63

HOF

• Members
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Seeing rumors Bucs in talks to trade down...

...COOK 2017!

Trading back to the 2nd so they don't over pay for Cook?  ;) Or due diligence?

Trade rumors are flying in advance of the 2017 NFL Draft and one team reportedly considering a move back in the draft is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Bucs - owners of the 19th overall draft pick - are in talks with at least three teams about dropping down and could trade out of the first round altogether, Schefter reports, citing a source.

The middle of the first round of the draft is a coveted draft position, especially considering the depth of talent in this year's talent pool. While the Buccaneers could use the 19th pick on a top running back or a defensive difference-maker, the team may also find value in dropping back a few picks and collecting more assets from other teams.

Among the Bucs' team needs are a safety, pass-rusher, and running back, in light of Doug Martin's ongoing suspension.

The teams in talks with Tampa Bay for its first-round pick have yet to be divulged.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1288819

#92 bucs63

bucs63

HOF

• Members
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

So, does this article placate NFL teams or does Cook really fall into the 2nd? I

This article kinda makes him sound illiterate. That last quote could have been cleaned up a little for cripes sake.

#93 jspaldin

jspaldin

MVP

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

This article kinda makes him sound illiterate. That last quote could have been cleaned up a little for cripes sake.

Unfortunately, for the most part that is how many college football players sound, so I don't think his speech patterns are an issue. Its the rumor mongering from a disgruntled 'left at the alter' agent wannabe.

#94 bucs63

bucs63

HOF

• Members
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

Unfortunately, for the most part that is how many college football players sound, so I don't think his speech patterns are an issue.

Yeah, I know. Just like pointing that one out because it didn't seem to match his other quotes in that article. Maybe they cleaned those up but that's not a character issue. This article has a lot of background. The most damaging incident might be the puppy abuse. People just looove puppies. 

http://mmqb.si.com/m...tate-miami-dade

#95 jspaldin

jspaldin

MVP

• Members
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

Also, in regards to waiting later in the draft for a difference maker RB, this article says 'not a good idea':

http://www.tampabay....g-backs/2321632

Of course the same statistics say picking any position in the late rounds is not a ticket to success. We (fans AND sports reporters) get too hung up on the odds or end success story and not the overwhelming number of crash and burns. Teams that consistently retain lots of players from late rounds are typically either teams like the the Patriots because of an extremely competent organization or like the Browns (and often Bucs) because their overall player pool is so shitty due to incompetent coaching and management.

#96 Tundra

Tundra

Luke Stocker SUCKS

• Members
  • 20,153 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

Also, in regards to waiting later in the draft for a difference maker RB, this article says 'not a good idea':

http://www.tampabay....g-backs/2321632

Of course the same statistics say picking any position in the late rounds is not a ticket to success. We (fans AND sports reporters) get too hung up on the odds or end success story and not the overwhelming number of crash and burns. Teams that consistently retain lots of players from late rounds are typically either teams like the the Patriots because of an extremely competent organization or like the Browns (and often Bucs) because their overall player pool is so shitty due to incompetent coaching and management.

1421942255.jpg

bucs_wordlogo.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users