Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BucForce

Stamkos is as good as gone

Detroit managed to trade the salary cap hit of Pavel Datsyuk ($7.5M) to Arizona, freeing up that money to sign Stamkos for more than the Lightning can afford to offer him, what with all the other players coming up for deals soon. Detroit is a lot closer to a Cup than the other players out there, like Toronto or Buffalo, who could pay him more. Detroit is close to his home over the border in Canada. Guess who the Lightning play in their home opener in October? Yep, you got it...

Got Stamkos? Not too much longer...and Bishop may be next out the door. :facepalm

Yes, it was basically an either/or between signing Stamkos or Bishop. Yzerman feels he has a replacement in Vasi without a big dropoff, while the drop off in offensive production with Stamkos leaving would be too much to overcome. Plus Vasi is cheaper for more years, Bishop has been injured 3 straight years going into or in the playoffs when he is needed the most. Take the money saved on the cap to re-sign Kucherov and Hedman.

Kuch and Hedman HAVE to be kept..

I'm stunned that Stamkos signed.. I really thought he was gone.. The wife and  hopped in the car and took a 3 day road trip.. No plans, no reservations, nothing... Just get in the car and let's go.. I've been totally out of the loop so this is a shocker to me.  I hate to see Bishop go but Kuch and Hedman have to be retained..