Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BucForce

2015-16 Season thread

Rays season over? Check

Bucs season over? Check

Lightning season starts on October 7th? Double check. Let's get this party started.

Even with the potential drama of a Stamkos contract situation dragging into the regular season, the key, like any season, is staying healthy. Last night in the final pre-season game, both Alex Killorn and TJ Johnson left with what is called "precautionary" injuries. Backup goalie Vasilevskiy is out till November-December. Goalie Ben Bishop seems to have recovered from his torn groin in the Finals, having played 60 minutes in the last 2 preseason games.

Lines look to be:

1) Drouin-Stamkos-Callahan

2) Palat-Johnson-Kucherov

3) Filpulla-Condra-Killorn

4) Boyle-Brown-Paquette

Defense

Hedman-Stralman

Garrison-Coburn

Carle-Sustr

They don't need to win the President's Trophy to go deep into the playoffs. Playing into mid-June might have an effect on them, we shall have to see what they do on a shorter offseason. But I like their chances. If they don't win a Cup this year, expect a lot of changes again next off season, as contracts start coming due for the young guys, like Hedman, Johnson, Kucherov, Palat etc. Callahan's contract might end up being an albatross on the team, to try and keep a core together. Luckily, Yzerman has developed a deep farm system too, so replacements will be needed. I'm ready for hockey, what about you?

They needed to get off to a good start, I think I heard they play 14 out of their first 20 on the road. They are great at home but have been mediocre in the past on the road. So far no injuries to speak of which is also good. Might be a letdown in Detroit tomorrow, I wonder if they will give the backup goalie a start, or just ride Bishop the first month until Vasi comes back.

Shutout in consecutive 1-0 games, one in OT, on the road, is both discouraging and encouraging. They hit plenty of posts so they will eventually start evening out and going in. Western Conference teams are more physical and it's not like we were badly outplayed. I think we play 14 out of our first 20 on the road, so soon we will start getting some home cooking and get some wins. And Montreal is playing over their heads too and will come back to earth at some point. Carey Price may be the best goalie in the game, but they are getting career years out of their 4th line guys scoring goals, so that will even out too.

They hit at least 3 posts in one period last night. At some point, these things even out and start going in. If they were losing badly and getting beaten up by the opposition, then maybe I would agree with your analysis. They are just in an offensive funk right now, which is better now than in April or the playoffs.

And we play them one last time on Tuesday, thankfully.

I would be more concerned if we were getting blown out or losing like 5-2. But 11 of the first 15 games have been on the road to start the season, and a lot of the losses are by a goal. There's too much talent on this team to be in an offensive funk like this for too much longer. I think some home cooking and some Ws will get this team back on track soon.

It's in their heads now, this scoring funk. They are overthinking everything, and gripping their stick too tight. Trying to make the perfect pass instead of firing everything but the kitchen sink at the goalie and charging the net for rebounds and deflections. They need to get some greasy, dirty goals. Two bad goals allowed last night, and one was an empty net. Cooper needs to shake things up, like benching guys and playing hungry rookies from Syracuse for a game or two. Maybe have McCoy bring his ice cream truck to the next practice to lighten up the mood at 1 Bolt Place, I don't know.

Yeah this is more than a slump or a funk. And I think this contract situation with Stamkos is not only affecting him but the team. Yzerman can't try and re-sign him until he knows what the cap will look like next year, especially with the Canadian dollar sinking to new lows, driving down league revenue. His teammates seem to be trying to set him up all the time instead of taking their own shots and scoring chances. We can't blame Bishop and Vasi, as they have have been standing on their heads most nights. You could blame Cooper, I guess, but these players need to take a good long look in the mirror to see where the blame lies.

Saw this on another board. I really believe this Stamkos contract situation has mentally affected the whole team (plus the injuries to Palat and Johnson). Thoughts?

Stammer is tied for 57th in the league in points (with likes of frans nielsen, 43 year old mullet wearer, and 3 (yes 3) defensemen.

Stammer is tied for 22nd in the league in goals scored (with likes of anisimov, tatar, eriksson, and 2 players (including one defensemen in Faulk) from the shitstorm that is the Carolina Hurricanes.

Stammer is tied for 41st with only 2 game winning goals

Stammer is second to last on the entire team in +/- (I know you analytics guys that this measure is not the be all but second to last shows relevance to others).

Stammer is tied for 69th in the league in shots on goal behind 9 different defensemen.

Think about all of that and tell me that this guy is worth 10+ million. Either he is declining, distracted by the contract or just not able to produce without a St. Louis on his wing but either way I don't see it.

If you make me choose between Stammer and losing half of a group consisting of the Triplets, Hedman, and Bishop I choose the latter everytime and it doesn't take a second to make the decision.

I've come around to your position Axe. These guys are a bunch of pussies. Some kind of shake up is needed, the season is 40% over and they look like they've never played hockey in their lives. Power play sucks ass, and that's on Cooper. At this point, give Stamkos a take it or leave it offer. If he refuses, start shopping him around and take the best offer. I think this issue has affected the team all season. They are all waiting for him to carry them on his back and he is not that type of player. He needed a guy like St Louis to set him up for his one timers and now he seems lost and invisible more times than not.