Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tb_buc

2015 Spring Predictions for the Regular Season

Was offered the chance to play at the ju-co level......wasn't really good enough beyond that, but I saw some amazing talent during my college days. And I am with you Axe, I love baseball.....truth be told, it was my first real sports love, followed by football and boxing. Over the years, football has taken it's place as my favorite, but I still get giddy this time of year.

I think the Rays and Braves records might be the same this year. The leading talk show on the MLB Network on SiriusXM predicts 67-95 for the Rays this year. Going to be a long hot summer for both of our teams this year.

I agree BF, it will be a long summer. I am not sure why you guys would fall that far though (admittedly don't keep up with the Rays). You guys still have some decent players, yeah? I know losing Maddon probably hurt a little, but I'm not buying into all the hype around him in Chicago. You'd think those guys are going to win it all by the way the talking heads are making them look.

My team was long overdue for a gutting. They missed one piece of that gutting though........Fredi Gonzalez. That guy is a horrendous manager. He's like a poor guy's Bobby Cox, and Cox in all his glory had trouble managing the game from time to time (or the Braves would have had more than one championship in his time). Outside of Freeman, they don't have much on offense, but even that is an improvement over last year. I think their strikeout totals will be way down this year, but so will their win totals.

Well, as for the Rays, let's start with getting rid of David Price last July (it had to be done, he was unaffordable anymore), and guys like Will Myers, Ben Zobrist, and to a lesser extent Yunel Escobar and Jeremy Hellickson in the offseason. 3 of our projected starting 5 pitchers (Cobb, Smyly, Colome) look to start the season on the DL and return sometime in April. Guys brought in to replace players are already hurt, like Nick Franklin. The big offseason acquisition in the Zobrist trade, Steven Souza Jr, is batting in the .120's the last I heard, and speculation is he might even start in AAA because he has options that others don't. They will pay $5M to David DeJesus to not play while they try and trade him, which makes them short relievers to keep him on the roster till someone gets hurt on some other team and comes looking for a cheap alternative. Our farm system, once one of the highest rated, is now one of the lower rated. For a team like us, the farm system must consistently provide new (cheap) players to the major league roster to survive. Maddon's replacement is a rookie himself who has never managed at any level so will have to learn on the job.

Oh, and former cheapskate owner, Vince Naimoli, is scheduled to throw out the first pitch on Opening Day. :facepalm

Well, as for the Rays, let's start with getting rid of David Price last July (it had to be done, he was unaffordable anymore), and guys like Will Myers, Ben Zobrist, and to a lesser extent Yunel Escobar and Jeremy Hellickson in the offseason. 3 of our projected starting 5 pitchers (Cobb, Smyly, Colome) look to start the season on the DL and return sometime in April. Guys brought in to replace players are already hurt, like Nick Franklin. The big offseason acquisition in the Zobrist trade, Steven Souza Jr, is batting in the .120's the last I heard, and speculation is he might even start in AAA because he has options that others don't. They will pay $5M to David DeJesus to not play while they try and trade him, which makes them short relievers to keep him on the roster till someone gets hurt on some other team and comes looking for a cheap alternative. Our farm system, once one of the highest rated, is now one of the lower rated. For a team like us, the farm system must consistently provide new (cheap) players to the major league roster to survive. Maddon's replacement is a rookie himself who has never managed at any level so will have to learn on the job.

Oh, and former cheapskate owner, Vince Naimoli, is scheduled to throw out the first pitch on Opening Day. :facepalm

Wow...now I am depressed for you Rays fans.

I have accepted the fact that the Braves will be bottom dwellers for the next 2 seasons at the most, unless they shitcan Gonzalez. I think you could take a fiery manager like an Ozzie Guillen (who is a bit of a wingnut) or a Bobby Valentine, and he can make you a .500 club with his enthusiasm (forget the Red Sox debacle - that was doomed to fail from the start). The problem is that those kind of guys aren't always in abundance.

I also forget to mention last year's closer, Jake McGee, is also out to the end of April, and Matt Moore is still recovering from last years arm surgery and is out to around the all star break. They also lost Davey Martinez as bench coach and kept Derek Shelton as hitting coach. We'z r fuckened... :facepalm

I saw an interview Friday with Freddie Freeman, he doesn't want to hear anything about a rebuild in Atlanta. You guys have lost a lot of SPs to arm issues too, and you traded the good Upton and kept the bad one. But it sounds like you got a good 2B in return and you still have Kimbrell if you can get it to the 9th. We have Grant Ball-Four.

The Rays play 25 of their first 28 against AL East teams..  They could be out of it by the 2nd week of May :ohcrap

Or, they could be right in the thick of it. I am going to be optimistic. A lot of minor league Rays have taken AB's this a Spring, I will choose to ignore the team average this Spring