Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tmservo

2014 Winter Olympics: Solchi

I thought it was spelled Sochi. But maybe there are multiple variations.

Of course, I will be focused on the hockey. Women's final will still be US-Canada, but there may be closer scores than in 2010. Mens may still be US-Canada, but Russia and Sweden will still have good teams. Finland has been hurt bad by injuries.

I like ski jumping, bobsled, luge, skeleton etc but could do without figure skating.

At least there's something to watch for a few weeks until spring training starts.

Ski jump is my favorite. Like luge and the alpine events. Never really saw the point in moguls though. Just seems like people in a washing machine. Snowboarding events are starting to grow on me. The snowboard chicks are uber-hot.

Oh, yeah!

Give me downhill, baby. Talk about balls!

Oh, yeah!

Give me downhill, baby. Talk about balls!

Supposed to be a really fast and vertical course. Be fun to watch.

Have to admit to some NASCAR-like waiting for the humongous crash to every winter sport. Except curling. How much better would that be if there was a shot requirement?

I am pretty disappointed with the American stars so far - seems like almost every opportunity our premier athletes have to do something special they are screwing up.  Shaun White was an asshole for qualifying for the slopestyle event and then backing out just before the games to concentrate on halfpipe - but he withdrew so late we weren't able to send another athlete in his place. The irony is, we got a gold from another guy in that event, and then White could not medal yesterday in halfpipe.  Bode Miller is, well, Bode Miller - just doesn't come through in the clutch at the Olympics.  We've got the world champion in the women's ski sprint event and she didn't even make the finals.  As I type this our women's hockey team is losing to the Canadians (a meaningless game since both have already qualified for the finals, but it still pisses me off.)  The only real surprise medal I can think of so far is the bronze in women's luge, which is pretty cool since it was the first ever American medal in that event.  We'd better start kicking ass, because when it comes to the Olympics, I am a boorish, patriotic, f*ck-you-you-foreigners 'Murican.