Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Rich McKay Conspiracy

Bucs Chat Fantasy Football 2013 Edition

I just re-upped the league from the last few years. Invites went out to last season's managers. It's nice and early, so I'll leave it at that for a month or two and then open it up to new players.

If anyone has any rule or scoring changes they'd like considered, let's take care of those discussions in the offseason. Once the games start, the rules are locked.

Defensive scoring needs some work, as well.

4 pts for safeties (pts scored in real game + ball off of a 20 yd line punt)

6 pts for TDs (normal for scoring plays)

2 pts per sack

3 pts per turnover (gives you a +9 on runbacks, but they are relatively rare)

That'd be a start, plus -1 pt per 20 yards surrendered. If you don't have this last ingredient, may as well leave it alone.

Hard to configure, but it can be done. Most D's will wind up negative due the yardage thing, but it instantly puts your defense on par with your QB for importance. Most won't realize that, because FF is so geared toward Arena styled scoring, so your first D won't pop off the board until the 5th and most folks won't take one until the 7th or 8th.

Still, there are fewer good defenses by those standards than WRs in the league. What it works out to is RBs are most important, which is always true because fantasy leagues favor those even though the League doesn't and QBs come next out of some natural selection bullshit, but taking it down to 1/20 yds is a start along with 4 pts for passing TDs.

Recommend grading scoring by pts surrendered to something like:

0 = 10 bonus

2-5 = 8

6-9 = 6

10-13 = 4

14-17 = 2

31-34 = -2

35-38 = -4

39-42 = -6

42-46 = -8

47+ = -10

Would be nice to grade the kickers, as well. Something like:

1-29 = 2 pts

30-39 = 3

40-49 = 5

50+ = 7

Kickers, like the defense in the above model gain the same 1 starter of X total starters on the roster as everyone else on the roster. Makes them valuable enough to be taken within the first 12 rounds instead of allowing folks to sit back for 15 rounds and take one at the end.

I've got more, like allowances for 1RB-3WR, 1RB-2WR-2TE sets and disposing of flex. It's more representative of actual line ups. Your best set is always 2RB-2WR-1TE because the scoring favors active RBs, but it lends better chances to those who didn't spend rounds #1 and #2 drafting RBs and those who lose them to injury in the first few weeks.

These changes are all configurable, though advanced.

Also recommend we institute the built-in waiver process instead of just going with "dude who has his smart phone handy on Sunday" wins.

:2cents

Okay, updates...

The draft should be fixed. It's Tuesday, September 3rd at 8:30 eastern / 7:30 central.

Also since everyone has had plenty of time to re-up from last year, I've also canceled the remaining invitations, if you want to sign up and plan on taking it seriously, go for it. The new invite URL is:

http://y.ahoo.it/pJue7nuZ.

There are 3 spots left at the moment.

Re: Scoring... some of what you're suggesting is already in there... like defensive TD's are already 6 points. The current points allowed scale isn't all that different than what you're suggesting. I think defenses are a lot harder to pick than QB's, so I don't personally like the idea of balancing things out to weight them like QB's... makes it too much of a luck thing and not enough of a skill thing IMO.

I'm open to changing the waiver type - I'm not trying to be all iron-fisted about stuff, I just want to hear from more than one guy on any changes when it's worked pretty nicely for the last few years. If 6 us agree on something (a majority with me abstaining), I'll flip the switch.

Okay, updates...

The draft should be fixed. It's Tuesday, September 3rd at 8:30 eastern / 7:30 central.

Also since everyone has had plenty of time to re-up from last year, I've also canceled the remaining invitations, if you want to sign up and plan on taking it seriously, go for it. The new invite URL is:

http://y.ahoo.it/pJue7nuZ.

There are 3 spots left at the moment.

Re: Scoring... some of what you're suggesting is already in there... like defensive TD's are already 6 points. The current points allowed scale isn't all that different than what you're suggesting. I think defenses are a lot harder to pick than QB's, so I don't personally like the idea of balancing things out to weight them like QB's... makes it too much of a luck thing and not enough of a skill thing IMO.

I'm open to changing the waiver type - I'm not trying to be all iron-fisted about stuff, I just want to hear from more than one guy on any changes when it's worked pretty nicely for the last few years. If 6 us agree on something (a majority with me abstaining), I'll flip the switch.

C5Domination wants to return if possible.

Got him signed up...

Yeah mojo's in that league too. Same one we were in last year. Missed the draft for that one too. Was supposed to be stateside but got stuck in Sigonella on the way back from the sandbox.

I'm completely confused because hubby and son are in RMC's league and did the live draft.  Son uses my yahoo to play and when I log in I see no Old Sombrero.