Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grudensgrimace

Conacher Dealt for More Goaltending

The Tampa Bay Lightning have traded rookie left wing Cory Conacher and a fourth-round draft pick to the Ottawa Senators for goaltender Ben Bishop, an NHL source told ESPN.com.

The deal represents a strong return for the Senators, considering Conacher has been one of the most impressive rookies in the NHL and can immediately join the Senators' lineup during their playoff push.

The 5-foot-8 Conacher has nine goals and 15 assists this season and is second among all rookies with 24 points, only one behind Florida's Jonathan Huberdeau.

But in Bishop, the Lightning immediately address their goaltending issues. The 6-foot-7 Bishop has been effective in Ottawa while playing for the injured Craig Anderson, posting a record of 8-5-0 with a .922 save percentage and 2.45 goals-against average.

The deal gives the Lightning another option at goalie for starter Anders Lindback, who has been inconsistent in his first season as an NHL starter. Lindback is recovering from an ankle injury and hasn't played since March 20.

Lightning continue to try and find a #1 netminder. Giving up Conacher is a very steep price - the kid is one of the top rookies this season. Hope Bishop ends up being the answer.

LINK

This move pisses me off. We don't need another maybe he's a #1 goalie, gosh let's hope so. We aren't making a fucking playoff run. Conacher was/is looking at ROTY, he's good enough to be heir apparent to St Louis and would have been a solid forward for years with the mentorship he was gettiung from Marty.

Fuck this deal. Bishop had better be the next fucking incarnation of Marty Goddamn Brodeur for this not to be a total ass rape of our roster.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.....:mad

Okay, a shutout in his first game for us on 45 shots is a good start.

STILL.....I refuse to waver in my dislike of this deal......unless of course over the course of time he does show himself to be the next fucking incarnation of Marty Goddamn Brodeur....in which case I'll STFU and go back to In Yzerman We Trust.

But he is not there yet....

Still.....major props for the first time out.

Conacher started out the season with ROY potential, but had really slowed down the last month, to where he was getting < 10 minutes of ice time per game. He can still develop into a decent player in this league because of his speed and quick shot, but we have similar guys now on the team plus in Syracuse. And if we will be trying to get bigger to stand up for each other when teams like Boston and Philly rough us up, small guys like Cory are not as effective. Bishop was outstanding tonight, but Hedman and Lecavalier got hurt. We still need to improve the defense in front of ANY goalie that plays for us, but Big Ben sure takes up a lot of the net. Let's hope the goalie coach, Franz Jean, doesn't get his hands on him too much, like he did with the 2011 Roloson and the previous #1 goalie we acquired in the offseason, Lindback.

By all means,, PLEASE!! Keep bitching about this trade because thus far as KODs/reverse mojos go, yer pitching a shutout

Great, then I have more shutouts than any Lightning goalie not named Bishop. Yay me. :winkwink

small guys like Cory are not as effective.

Tell that to Marty St Louis...and Cory while you're at it. I wasn't engaging in hyperbole when I said Cory was playing like St Louis. And he's currently only 1 point back from being tied for #1 in points for all rookies.

Also, everyone slowed down last month, which is why we're having to work our ass off to HOPE we have a playoff shot.

Let's hope the goalie coach, Franz Jean, doesn't get his hands on him too much, like he did with the 2011 Roloson and the previous #1 goalie we acquired in the offseason, Lindback.

I have serious concerns about any and all goalies coaches the Lightning have ever employed. The only elite goalie we had was Habby and we needed to add a sports shrink to keep him held together for the Cup run. We've had some decent talent go through here, but our goalie coaching hasn't been able to do shit with them. Hopefully that'll get addressed.

Haven't seen much of Bishop previously, which is why it is hard to make any kind of judgment on the trade yet. But he sure looked comfortable between the pipes last night. Lindback always seems to give up juicy rebounds and looks like he wasn't confident when he took an angle on a shooter - Bishop had no such issues last night. Hope he keeps it up. Need to rip off a few in a row to get back in this thing.

Fun to revisit this one at the moment.

Cory Conacher, the forward traded to Ottawa at the end of the 2012-13 season, is back with the Lightning, having signed a 1-year, 1-way contract worth $575,000.

The signing adds another forward to a team already deep in forwards.

Conacher, 26, played in 141 career NHL Games, including 35 for the Lightning in ’12-‘13. He scored five goals and 12 points in his first six games and finished the season with nine goals and 24 assists.

Conacher, 5-8, 182-pounds, also played for the Sabers and Islanders. He played last season for former Lightning coach Guy Boucher for Bern in the Switzerland National League, where he scored 22 goals and totaled 52 points in 48 games. He scored five goals and had nine points in 14 playoff games.

Conacher was a member of the Team Canada last season at the Spengler Cup. He was named to the all-tournament team after helping Team Canada win the title.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/f-cory-conacher-returns-on-1-year-1-way-deal/2285287

Yes, we haven't seen Christophe2060 much around here anymore. Meanwhile, Conacher played himself out of the NHL, while Bishop is considered an elite goalie (when healthy). This is a depth signing, maybe they buy out Condra, but this is more of replace a guy like Marchessault who left to join the Panthers.