Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RastaMon

Al Davis has died

Guest LanceUppercut
Yes, I would say Al Davis and Lamar Hunt may have been the two biggest icons for the NFL's success they enjoy today.

Al Davis knew how to market his team. Along with Hunt and Tagliabue...Al Davis was one of the biggest factors in the NFL being what it is today. RIP Mr. Davis.

NFL Network aired a great miniseries called Full Color Football, about the history of the AFL. It showed Davis as quite the mover-and-shaker who was as competitive off the field as his team was on the field. It became obvious over the years that the game had passed him by, but no one can deny his imprint on the game. RIP.

Guest LanceUppercut

Al Davis was the face of the franchise. No, really. They used his image to draft the Raiders logo. :winkwink

I wonder who is going to take over the Raiduhs now. RaiderMike maybe?

Al Davis was a great figure who lost in the 1980s with his betrayal of the Oakland fan base by moving the team to Los Angeles (amd then screwing them by moving back to Oakland) and then his criminal rip off of the community of Irwindale, California. The man does have wonderful and positive legacies but I can not remember too many after 1982.

His war with Marcus Allen was disturbing because it was unnecessary and showed how clogged his mind became as he aged. The last 20 years other than the Gruden years, he ran the team in the ground as he made his players above the coach.

Guest LanceUppercut
The last 20 years other than the Gruden years, he ran the team in the ground as he made his players above the coach.
To be fair, I would have put the players before the coaches he's had in Oakland for the past 20 years sans Gruden. He kept trying to find a diamond in the rough with unproven coaches but always ended up with coal. He may have found that diamond in Hue Jackson, but didn't live long enough to see it come to fruition.

Look at this list of coaches in the past 20 years.

Art Shell

Mike White

Joe Bugel

Jon Gruden

Bill Callahan

Norv Turner

Art Shell (2)

Lane Kiffin

Tom Cable

Hue Jackson

Dismal.

Guest LanceUppercut
How does Norv Turner suck so bad at Washington and Oakland and get to inherit a 14-2 San Diego Chargers team?

Because he was replacing Schottty, probably the absolute worst playoff coach in NFL history. Great regular season coach...really shitty post season coach. The cogs were in place, maybe they thought Norv could push them to where they want to be and has done a decent job doing it. Granted he also chokes in the post season, but he didn't have the regular season style points Schotty had.

It's hard to say Schotty is a terrible playoff coach. He was great in KC; yes they sucked in the post season, but to play in the post season, you have to have a QB who can win. Elvis Grbac was not it. Having Montana one year got them one win post-season but that was long past his prime. Schotty always seems to go to teams that are close, but not close enough.. and he gets the most out of them in the regular season. I think if he went to the right team, he'd be fine in the post season.

The same way I think Shanahan lucked into Elway. Without Elway, how's that working out for him?

Guest LanceUppercut
The same way I think Shanahan lucked into Elway. Without Elway, how's that working out for him?

Exactly why I feel the QB makes the coach and not the other way around. Without Freeman, this would probably be Rah's last year with the Bucs. By drafting Josh (and Josh working out), he bought himself at least 4-5 years.