Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tfree32

UCONN Women's Win Streak

Snap! I'm afraid he got you on that one, tfree.

May I say that I would like to pat my friends and me on the back as to how we geniusly outed YOI..but really, it wasn't that difficult. In fact, it was so obvious I don't know anybody who questioned it. I must say that I am enjoying the thought of yinzer reading this and being unable to say anything in return. Sorry, toughie, but you brought it on yourself. What a creepy lil devil thou art!

I'll let you get back to your UCONN stuff in a moment but this must be said.

YOI, you know how you used to grind your teeth and stomp your big fat feet and tell me I was the sort of asshole that thinks he has an answer for everything and thinks he knows it all? Guess what? When it comes to you I am that asshole. You were right about me. You were right all along. And since I am the asshole that has an answer for everything and knows it all I'll let you know that I was the guy that was all over your little sockpuppet from the moment you created it. I was the guy that alerted the others that it was you. You know how I knew it was you? Because I'm the asshole that has an answer for everything and knows it all. You see, I'm just better than you. That's why I'm out working and producing and you're the guy stuck at home, banned from this website, folding laundry and being a general all around loser.

To put it in terms you will understand, yes I'm just that fucking fabulous in comparison to you and fuck you too.

As for the rest of my esteemed posters here that may read this I want to make it clear that I don't think I'm better than any of you. This is simply between YOI and I. The rest of you are A-OK and swell in my book.

Now back to your regularly scheduled UCONN thread.

Bigger, faster, stronger wins.. except in Basketball, when those factors CAN matter, but just as often, discipline matters.. ask small teams who have went far in the NCAA tournament (See: Butler.. or Princeton a few years ago). Those kids from Princeton were nothing.. skinny little white kids. But they stood there and took a charge, and they could hit free throws.

Unlike Soccer, where you have a big field and fouls don't equal free points, or football where penalties don't introduce free points.. I'm reminded of this: Michael Jordan put on one of the most spectacular showings in all of basketball, scoring 63 points against the Celtics.

How does an example of a crappy mens' team with one great player losing to a better mens' team have anything to do with your argument? That Celtics team was incredibly talented, with Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Danny Ainge, Dennis Johnson, etc. Jordan had to score 63, because he was the only decent player the Bulls had at that time. So you just proved my point...talent matters quite a bit.

the fact is, there are several good girls basketball programs and there should be a lot more. Right now, I can think of about 20 girls teams I think are seriously competitive every year (Duke, Tennessee, Texas, North Carolina, UCONN, Umass, Kansas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, etc.)

How many of those teams have an actual shot to win a national title each year? Being good/decent isn't the issue. Being able to win a title is. And in any given season, only a couple of womens' teams have an actual chance to do that. In most seasons, you can fill in the Final Four on a bracket before the season even begins.

Just because other universities don't put enough value into it doesn't mean that they shouldn't. I'm sorry if fans don't support it. It's too bad. It isn't the same as watching Men's basketball, and I won't argue that. But I will say that those girls play their hearts out, and again, if I had a daughter, it's a good role model for them.

They play their hearts out...good for them. They try hard...that's endearing. But as you essentially concede, they're playing different sports. So comparing the UCONN record to the one established by UCLA is ridiculous.

I'm a big supporter of women's athletics, and I think it gets under-recognized and poorly supported, and I tend to blame the fans who dismiss it. All I can say is: you're missing out. Boo-hoo all you want, but those student-athletes represent your university, your school, and they also represent a lot of alumni donors and they do a good job of it.

I like womens' volleyball. It's entertaining and the women are extremely talented athletes. One of the reasons it's successful in my view is that it doesn't try to compete with mens' volleyball. Womens' basketball should learn from that example and embrace that it's a different game.

If you were to ask me, would I rather watch a Women's basketball game or Men's Rowing or Men's Lacrosse or Men's archery.. I'd take Women's basketball every day of the week. But I could understand where someone else would like those other sports. To each there own. But I won't dismiss their accomplishment. Whether you think there competition is lackluster or not, I would argue those other universities also play hard - remember, it wasn't very long ago that Tennessee was a major dominant force in women's athletics.. and Duke had a good run a few years back, etc.

I'm not dismissing their accomplishment so much as putting it into perspective and proper context. Winning a lot of games in a row in womens' college basketball today is far far less impressive than winning lots of games in a row in mens' basketball was back when UCLA did it. Mens' and womens' basketball are different sports and UCLA faced a lot better competition.

What it really is is a credit to the coaching and recruiting efforts by UCONN. Becuase they are judged against the same talent as everyone else, and if it were so easy, some other major womens basketball team would have accomplished this long ago. But they didn't.

I didn't say it was easy. I said that it's not nearly the accomplishment that UCLA's streak was and that it's ridiculous to compare the two.

WTF am I doing arguing basketball with you, tfree.. maybe you can make this argument again if Nebraska can win say, 2 or 3 in a row..

I'm amused that as a K-State alum, whose basketball program became relevant about 2 years ago, you're attempting to talk trash about it. Nebraska is admittedly a football school. Rest assured that if we gave a shit about basketball, we'd be beating the shit out of you at it every year just as we do in football. :)

YOI, you know how you used to grind your teeth and stomp your big fat feet and tell me I was the sort of asshole that thinks he has an answer for everything and thinks he knows it all? Guess what? When it comes to you I am that asshole. You were right about me. You were right all along. And since I am the asshole that has an answer for everything and knows it all I'll let you know that I was the guy that was all over your little sockpuppet from the moment you created it. I was the guy that alerted the others that it was you. You know how I knew it was you? Because I'm the asshole that has an answer for everything and knows it all. You see, I'm just better than you. That's why I'm out working and producing and you're the guy stuck at home, banned from this website, folding laundry and being a general all around loser.

To put it in terms you will understand, yes I'm just that fucking fabulous in comparison to you and fuck you too.

As for the rest of my esteemed posters here that may read this I want to make it clear that I don't think I'm better than any of you. This is simply between YOI and I. The rest of you are A-OK and swell in my book.

:rotflmao

Dunking has kind of destroyed the game (IMHO). It is great when it is done as part of a breakaway, or a fast break.. etc. But go youtube how often college players miss a dunk, or draw a charge, or fail to make an easy pass in favor of trying to showboat.

As to Tfree:

(1) First, K-State's basketball history goes back a ways, remember Mitch Richmond?

(2) No, the difference in the Celtics/Bulls had nothing to do with Strength, Speed.. the Bulls had far more speed, far more strength athletes.. and if you doubt that, let's put Robert Parish or Kevin McHale on their best days in a foot race against anyone on the Bulls of that era.. it'd be laughable. But what the Celtics had was that they made more passes and they got the other teams into foul trouble.. and they had the highest Free Throw % in the league for several years.

(3) Ever see John Paxton, NBA Hall-Of-Famer Dunk? Ever watch Danny Ainge go hard to the rim? Find lots of shots of even Reggie Miller going bigtime to the hoop? Maybe they could, but they played a better game then that; any NBA team of the 80s early 90s would beat the living bejeesus out of anyone playing right now.. it'd be humiliating. Why? Because they didn't show boat and they play defense.

How many of those teams have an actual shot to win a national title each year? Being good/decent isn't the issue. Being able to win a title is. And in any given season, only a couple of womens' teams have an actual chance to do that. In most seasons, you can fill in the Final Four on a bracket before the season even begins.

How many men's football teams actually have a legitimate chance to win the national championship every.. oh wait, there isn't a tournament or a playoff, so I guess zero. :):):):)

You're right, they cannot compare the sports, they are very different sports. But you're not upset because the sport is different, but you're upset because of the comparison. I say this as a way that I think the sports are messed up: The hoop is the exact same height in the women's game as the mens. The ball is the exact same size. The 3 Point line is the exact same length.

They do it to make them the same, and you're right, I'd agree it really hurts their sport. I think if they went to the 1950s hoop (8 inches lower) It would make for a much more exciting game.

But I think that the accomplishment of how many they win in a row is a testament to their dominance in a sport - that's what I'm saying. Nobody has ever dominated any sport in the way UCONN women dominate the Women's basketball programs. That's really all that's up for debate. Even at it's highest point, UCLA was never as dominant as UCONN. The Boston Celtics of the 1960s were not this dominant. I can't think of any program in any sport that was as dominant.

Now, we can say that's because the competition sucks, but realize, that's something they can't control. The Boston Redsox and the NYY can't control that Kansas City sucks ass as a baseball team, or that the Detroit Tigers are a doormat.

The idea of celebrating how dominant they are doesn't bother me in a bit. It should bother other universities who have absolutely sucked ass trying to recruit or put out a team. So, is it a tale of UCONN being incredibly well coached, tons of talent.. or other teams sucking? Either way, it's credit to them, they won night in, night out, without let down. Still, a major accomplishment.

I happen to enjoy Women's basketball.. I think it's a very different game with a very different strategy, and to be honest, I find it a lot more enjoyable to watch then a lot of college men's basketball. Watching men's basketball at time is like watching one kid try to pull off a highlight reel while everyone else stands around, and there is a hell of a lot more walking in college mens basketball.. oh, highlight reel dunk.. go to the baseline.. walk it up.. you almost never see girls walk it up without a coach going apeshit on the sideline.

Just a different game. But I still commend their streak, it is one of the most impressive things I can think of, and yes, I say that both for them and for their status in their game. I may not think a ton of swimming, but that Michael Phelps? One of the most dominant performances in a sport.

You can't really compare a sport to a sport; but you can compare how dominant a team or a player is versus his competition. And you're right, right now, UCONN has no real legit competition.. but that isn't there fault; and it isnt for the lack of effort on several university programs.

Dunking has kind of destroyed the game (IMHO). It is great when it is done as part of a breakaway, or a fast break.. etc. But go youtube how often college players miss a dunk, or draw a charge, or fail to make an easy pass in favor of trying to showboat.

It was an example of the difference in athleticism.

As to Tfree:

(1) First, K-State's basketball history goes back a ways, remember Mitch Richmond?

Richmond played college ball in the 1980's. K-State was then largely irrelevant until Michael Beasley arrived.

(2) No, the difference in the Celtics/Bulls had nothing to do with Strength, Speed.. the Bulls had far more speed, far more strength athletes.. and if you doubt that, let's put Robert Parish or Kevin McHale on their best days in a foot race against anyone on the Bulls of that era.. it'd be laughable. But what the Celtics had was that they made more passes and they got the other teams into foul trouble.. and they had the highest Free Throw % in the league for several years.

Your knowledge of basketball history seems to be lacking. Pippen and Grant joined the Bulls in 1987 and did not become stars until years later. Jordan's 63 point game against the Celtics came in 1986. The team he was on at the time sucked. They were 40-42 that season.

(3) Ever see John Paxton, NBA Hall-Of-Famer Dunk? Ever watch Danny Ainge go hard to the rim? Find lots of shots of even Reggie Miller going bigtime to the hoop? Maybe they could, but they played a better game then that; any NBA team of the 80s early 90s would beat the living bejeesus out of anyone playing right now.. it'd be humiliating. Why? Because they didn't show boat and they play defense.

It's spelled Paxson, and I'm not certain he's a member of the NBA Hall of Fame. he might be, I just hadn't heard that. He is a member of the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-America (CoSIDA) Hall of Fame however, so maybe that's what you're referencing. And the reason he has a successful NBA career is because the attention opposing teams had to pay to Jordan, Pippen, Grant, etc. meant he was consistently getting open shots. Without those guys, he would have been a journeyman player.

Many teams of the early 80s-90s era did not play great defense. And many teams now have a lot more athletic ability. So it's unclear how they would matchup...but I don't think anyone would be "humiliated."

You're right, they cannot compare the sports, they are very different sports. But you're not upset because the sport is different, but you're upset because of the comparison. I say this as a way that I think the sports are messed up: The hoop is the exact same height in the women's game as the mens. The ball is the exact same size. The 3 Point line is the exact same length.

So what? The track is just as long in the Special Olympics as in the regular Olympics. But I've never heard an announcer compare those respective records. It's absurd.

They do it to make them the same, and you're right, I'd agree it really hurts their sport. I think if they went to the 1950s hoop (8 inches lower) It would make for a much more exciting game.

Considering it's currently as boring as watching paint dry, just about anything would make it more exciting. I think it would help quite a bit if the players were more attractive and they wore less clothing. Then I might care.

But I think that the accomplishment of how many they win in a row is a testament to their dominance in a sport - that's what I'm saying. Nobody has ever dominated any sport in the way UCONN women dominate the Women's basketball programs. That's really all that's up for debate. Even at it's highest point, UCLA was never as dominant as UCONN. The Boston Celtics of the 1960s were not this dominant. I can't think of any program in any sport that was as dominant.

The Celtics in the 1960's won eleven titles in thirteen seasons...in a sport that was actually competitive and that people cared about. Be careful with making ridiculous statements that start with "nobody has ever." They're generally wrong.

Now, we can say that's because the competition sucks, but realize, that's something they can't control. The Boston Redsox and the NYY can't control that Kansas City sucks ass as a baseball team, or that the Detroit Tigers are a doormat.

Whether they can control that the level of competition sucks is ultimately irrelevant. The fact remains that it does and that affects the significance of the accomplishment.

The idea of celebrating how dominant they are doesn't bother me in a bit. It should bother other universities who have absolutely sucked ass trying to recruit or put out a team. So, is it a tale of UCONN being incredibly well coached, tons of talent.. or other teams sucking? Either way, it's credit to them, they won night in, night out, without let down. Still, a major accomplishment.

Not really. And certainly not on par with the Celtics of the 60's or the great teams from UCLA. And comparing their streak to those great streaks from history just makes the UCONN womens' achievement look absurd by comparison.

I happen to enjoy Women's basketball..

Probably because you play like a woman. :)

I think it's a very different game with a very different strategy, and to be honest, I find it a lot more enjoyable to watch then a lot of college men's basketball. Watching men's basketball at time is like watching one kid try to pull off a highlight reel while everyone else stands around, and there is a hell of a lot more walking in college mens basketball.. oh, highlight reel dunk.. go to the baseline.. walk it up.. you almost never see girls walk it up without a coach going apeshit on the sideline.

Interesting but irrelevant to the discussion. I'd love to see the mens' and womens' teams from UCONN play. I imagine the men would destroy the women.

Just a different game. But I still commend their streak, it is one of the most impressive things I can think of, and yes, I say that both for them and for their status in their game. I may not think a ton of swimming, but that Michael Phelps? One of the most dominant performances in a sport.

Phelps competes in a competitive sport, where numerous countries spend a ton of money and resources to train their best athletes to compete. His dominance of thatsport is thus more impressive than UCONN's dominance of theirs.

You can't really compare a sport to a sport; but you can compare how dominant a team or a player is versus his competition. And you're right, right now, UCONN has no real legit competition.. but that isn't there fault; and it isnt for the lack of effort on several university programs.

So now you admit they don't have any legitimate competition. That really ends the argument. The reason(s) the competition sucks are irrelevant. The fact the competition sucks makes their streak considerably less impressive.

Yeah YOI/Claude Henry Smoot is a complete homo. The only thing funnier than seeing his fat and worthless ass banned is now watching him troll and be unable to post.

Get a job YOI, you pointless dipshit.

I'm amused that as a K-State alum, whose basketball program became relevant about 2 years ago, you're attempting to talk trash about it. Nebraska is admittedly a football school. Rest assured that if we gave a shit about basketball, we'd be beating the shit out of you at it every year just as we do in football. :)

"we"???? I thought you went to Creighton??

Tfree,

I was listening in the car the other day and heard a huge radio rant about UConn that used the word "chicks" in a disgusted voice about a thousand times. Sounded quite a bit like your rant, in fact. I can't remember which idiot was yelling and spitting into the mic about it, but did you hear that show and just regurgitate it here, or is "chicks" a word you like to use on a reguar basis?

"we"???? I thought you went to Creighton??

For grad school. And how is that relevant?

Tfree, I was listening in the car the other day and heard a huge radio rant about UConn that used the word "chicks" in a disgusted voice about a thousand times. Sounded quite a bit like your rant, in fact. I can't remember which idiot was yelling and spitting into the mic about it, but did you hear that show and just regurgitate it here, or is "chicks" a word you like to use on a reguar basis?

I use it on occasion, why do you ask?

Plain and simple--women's basketball is not the same sport as men's basketball. But them setting a record and Geno whining on and on about the lack of respect they are getting..

Yeah, the pathetic whining made it even worse. I think being around all those women for so long has likely made him hormonal. :winkwink

It is an amazing accomplishment in any D1 sport. Most universities did Women's basketball long before Title IX, in fact, it was basically the only sport that most universities did for women before Title IX, rivaling Volleyball.

The fact that UCONN has so dominated the activity is an amazing accomplishment. If you think the competition was weak, you'd think at least one night the girls would phone it in and get caught in a loss. But they haven't just won that many in a row, they have absolutely beaten other teams.

Womens Basketball isn't Mens Basketball. You can't compare the two. But you can compare a streak for how incredible it is in any sport. Will anyone top Dimagio's hit streak? Favre's games started? Jerry Rice's total yards? Will another mens basketball team ever match UCLA? Will another womans basketball team ever match UCONNs streak?

That's all you can say. They have reached the highest point in their sport.

Yes, it's an amazing accomplishment--within that sport. And reaching those heights in any sport is important and historical. But comparing men's basketball to women's basketball is apples to oranges. They are not the same. People should laud the UConn women's team for their record-breaking number of wins, but should not compare that team to the UCLA teams of the 70s. There is no relevance in those comparisons.

I think what means to be said is: all sports have streaks. Those streaks are amazing accomplishments. You can't directly compare them to any other sport. But they can all be compared as a matter of the streak itself, by this standard: which is the most likely streak to be broken? And which ones could never be broken.

The UCONN streak is FAR more likely to be broken than the one established by UCLA. Mens' basketball is far more competitive and it's difficult to conceive of a mens' team winning that many games in a row.

I have no problem with recognizing the streak for what it is. The ridiculousness comes when it's compared to UCLA's, and statements are made about how they broke UCLA's streak. That's completely absurd.

For grad school. And how is that relevant?

no big deal...just curious....my understanding is that you did NOT attend NU (that you were a "fan" not an alum)...so when you said, "we", I typically would associate that with an alum speaking of their alma mater and thought that maybe I had misunderstood, but I went back and looked at the "alma mater" thread and realized that I was correct.....like, I said, no big deal, just was confused...carry on.

I tried to stay out of this because I was a BIG UCLA fan back in those days so I admit I am biased that the UCONN's streak does not compare.

I respect their streak for what it is...in Womens basketball. Being that it is in basketball, UCONN's streak will be the one cited for consecutive wins now.

But UCLA's streak was during their record 7 Straight NCAA Tournament titles in which they had a record of 205-5. Within that span UCLA also had 2 streaks of 40plus games to go with that 88 game streak.

Poor USC, during the '70-'71 season, they lost only 2 games and those were to UCLA in nail biters ( both games )

http://www.fanbase.com/USC-Trojans-Mens-Basketball-1970-71/schedule

And they went...no where ,since in those days Champs from each conferance were the only teams invited to the dance and they declined an invite to the NIT ( Not Invited Tournament :winkwink )

Stanford ends the UConn streak at 90 much like Notre Dame ended UCLA at 88. Notre Dame was the last team to beat UCLA before its 88 game streak win started. Then Notre Dame won to end the UCLA streak at 88. Stanford was the last team to beat UConn before the 90 game winning streak started and won at home tonight to end it at 90.