Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tfree32

UCONN Women's Win Streak

I like what you did there. With the rhymes and all. And the "captain of the instigation teams" tagline is cute. In a gay sort of way.

captainS...plural...to include you.

BTW, didn't you once post that only gays seeking gays call others gay? Yeah, that was you.

But take heart, at least you can now serve openly in the military.

I know you were targeting me, which is why I commented upon it. And that quip about gays wasn't me. Hell, it was probably you.

But please note that I didn't call you gay. I said that your little sig was gay. Im not trying to seek out sigs, even if I were a gay sig. I notice you got rid of it, though. Kudos. And why didn't you comment upon tfree's "gay"? I believe you're calling me out as a poster, and I'll have to report you to the mods. Please don't make me do that. I HATE when I have to do that.

BTW, tell yoi to stop crying for mommy and daddy.

I believe TFree has endured enough commenting by me for a while, although you can feel free to continue on your own.

You certainly seem concerned about sexuality. Lack of confidence? No stamina? No libido? Acne? Poor boy!

Are those supposed to be insults? Are they directed at me? Coming from a fruity little beret-wearing yard gnome, I find them amusing.

Dance for me yard gnome...Dance.

tn_garden-gnome-Squeezy.jpg

Okay, Guys...calm down.

Less dissing. Less pissing.

More sports talk.

Merry, Merry...and...Happy, Happy to all

including the captains of the instigation teams.

Are you going to answer my question or run to Servo in your little secrect mod chat and beg for help????????????????????????????????????

Holy shit I get PM'd for this crap.. I don't know, don't care.. (sorry, battling like stomach flu and feel like total shit)... I don't know; if you PM me, I'll try to answer anything, but wow this seems a lot about nothing.

As far as UCONN, look, I don't care if it's girls or T-ball or Pro-Am Beach Volleyball. Winning that many games in a row is a major, major feat, especially in a Division I sport. UCONN has been well coached, they run a system that attracts the best athletes, and those girls who put out the effort for their program deserve to be proud of their accomplishment. If I had any daughters, I'd rather them be amazed by this event and want to succeed then I would them watching Snooki or any of the coke-whore teen idols.. who would I want a daughter to look up? Student Athletes who succeed and have gone on to high employment rates and achievement.. or a girl who blew millions and is on her fifth rehab...?

As far as UCONN, look, I don't care if it's girls or T-ball or Pro-Am Beach Volleyball. Winning that many games in a row is a major, major feat, especially in a Division I sport. UCONN has been well coached, they run a system that attracts the best athletes, and those girls who put out the effort for their program deserve to be proud of their accomplishment.

Not a big deal. There are a handful of teams in womens' college basketball that are ever competitive. It's a joke of a sport that most teams have just for Title IX purposes.

And if people want womens' sports to be judged on their own merits and to stop comparing female athletes to male athletes, then they need to quit comparing records from the two and pretending they're equivalent. In any comparison between the two, women come out as inferior. So if they want to make a big deal out of it, I guess I don't really care. But for fuck's sake, they need to stop acting like the UCONN team is going to break UCLA's record. It's fucking ridiculous.

Holy shit I get PM'd for this crap.. I don't know, don't care.. (sorry, battling like stomach flu and feel like total shit)... I don't know; if you PM me, I'll try to answer anything, but wow this seems a lot about nothing.

As far as UCONN, look, I don't care if it's girls or T-ball or Pro-Am Beach Volleyball. Winning that many games in a row is a major, major feat, especially in a Division I sport. UCONN has been well coached, they run a system that attracts the best athletes, and those girls who put out the effort for their program deserve to be proud of their accomplishment. If I had any daughters, I'd rather them be amazed by this event and want to succeed then I would them watching Snooki or any of the coke-whore teen idols.. who would I want a daughter to look up? Student Athletes who succeed and have gone on to high employment rates and achievement.. or a girl who blew millions and is on her fifth rehab...?

Hope you feel better ..But why is YOI as some dude named Claude???

Hope you feel better ..But why is YOI as some dude named Claude???

YOI was banned for issues we won't go into.

He re-registered.

The New account has been banned.

I didn't catch it because I've been kind of under the weather (sorry)... He did alert me those pictures were his in PM, and apparently went on a mad dash of PM'ing all the mods about how the situation was, and I have banned his account and removed as a courtesy his pictures from this thread.

I ask others posters not to post them, as he won't be a member, so it really doesn't matter. I basically got the "Goodbye Cruel world, I'm leaving, fuck all of them" spiel, "how the hell did anyone figure it out" and so on *shrug* it's all stupid now.

He's banned. Previous banning on YOI transfers to the new account, so that ends that.

YOI was banned for issues we won't go into.

He re-registered.

The New account has been banned.

I didn't catch it because I've been kind of under the weather (sorry)... He did alert me those pictures were his in PM, and apparently went on a mad dash of PM'ing all the mods about how the situation was, and I have banned his account and removed as a courtesy his pictures from this thread.

I ask others posters not to post them, as he won't be a member, so it really doesn't matter. I basically got the "Goodbye Cruel world, I'm leaving, fuck all of them" spiel, "how the hell did anyone figure it out" and so on *shrug* it's all stupid now.

He's banned. Previous banning on YOI transfers to the new account, so that ends that.

He will be back mark my words..I don't care but he will be back ...Don't tell me Caude got pissed about some red headed dude you couldn't even see his face ..how gay

When ucla went on its streak, it was in a league of nobodies who didn't fund their programs at all in an era where it had 1st pick of talent because they offerred real scholarships etc.

UCONNs record is an accomplishment. Is it the biggest ever? No. But it is a major accomplishment. Your arguement also goes the other way, in an era where lots of universities don't take the sport seriously, UCONN did, and nothing wrong with rewarding them for it.

When ucla went on its streak, it was in a league of nobodies who didn't fund their programs at all in an era where it had 1st pick of talent because they offerred real scholarships etc.

UCONNs record is an accomplishment. Is it the biggest ever? No. But it is a major accomplishment. Your arguement also goes the other way, in an era where lots of universities don't take the sport seriously, UCONN did, and nothing wrong with rewarding them for it.

Apples to oranges Servo.

First, even when UCLA played, most schools took mens' basketball seriously and fielded competitive teams than do in the womens' game right now. UCLA was far more challenged than UCONN has been and faced consistently tougher competition than UCONN has.

There is simply no comparison between the mens' and womens' games. I could put together a team of 9th or 10th grade boys and beat the shit out of the UCONN womens' team. It's an entirely different level of competition and the games they play are practically different sports.

So it's ridiculous to compare the UCONN streak to UCLA's and to pretend they are going to break UCLA's record. It's absurd to pretend that they're at all comparable and it makes a joke out of UCONN's accomplishment to attempt to compare them.

I think your comparison of 'I could put together 9th and 10th grade boys' tells me you have never really watched a college womens ball. Those girls would throttle high school boys. Unless its an allstar team.

Why? Because they shoot with as solid an accuracy, and more important: they have better fundamentals.

Why does that matter? You send the UCONN girls to the freethrow line and its 80%. Send high school boys and its like 60%. And the girls will take a charge.

Part of why the college boys game has suffered is because boys won't take a charge, they play crap defense, and they showboat.

Which is why a school that plays well disciplined ball does very well.

Id put UCONN's girls up against Nebraska's boys, and I'd lay money they'd spank them. Those kids can't shoot from distance, they can't shoot from the stripe, and they don't rebound.

Id put UCONN's girls up against Nebraska's boys, and I'd lay money they'd spank them. Those kids can't shoot from distance, they can't shoot from the stripe, and they don't rebound.

Not really.

It would be an ass kicking. Quick somewhat related story. When the US Women's national soccer team won the World Cup in I think it was 1999, with Mia Hamm in her prime, and Michell Akers still playing, Chastain, Foudy, the golden age (if it can have that) of the US Women's national soccer team, they played a scrimmage in the run up against a run of the mill boys Under 17 club team in Orlando. Not the state select team, not an academy team, not a college team, just a collection of high school aged kids who played competitive club soccer. The women's national team was dominated 4-0, and they were the best female team in the world at the time.

Pretty sure most competent boys high school basketball teams would beat UConn's women's basketball team. Bigger, stronger, faster, wins.

I think your comparison of 'I could put together 9th and 10th grade boys' tells me you have never really watched a college womens ball. Those girls would throttle high school boys. Unless its an allstar team.

I'm talking about an all-star team...or at least a very good and well-coached one. And they'd beat the crap out of any womens' college team on the planet. They play almost different sports and are completely different in terms of athleticism.

Nebraska is at best a mediocre mens' college team...and they would beat the UCONN women's team by double digits. Basketball is a game of matchups and Nebraska would have considerable advantages in size, strength, speed and raw athleticism. Nebraska's basketball team struggles against good mens' teams because they're simply not very talented. But they're still considerably more talented than the best womens' team ever. That's how wide the gulf is between men and women in terms of athletic ability.

Claiming they're capable of beating an even mediocre mens' team is as silly as claiming a tremendous high school football team could beat the crappiest NFL team ever assembled. Rest assured...the NFL team would beat the ever-living shit out of them. You're buying into feminist nonsense Servo.

Not really.

It would be an ass kicking. Quick somewhat related story. When the US Women's national soccer team won the World Cup in I think it was 1999, with Mia Hamm in her prime, and Michell Akers still playing, Chastain, Foudy, the golden age (if it can have that) of the US Women's national soccer team, they played a scrimmage in the run up against a run of the mill boys Under 17 club team in Orlando. Not the state select team, not an academy team, not a college team, just a collection of high school aged kids who played competitive club soccer. The women's national team was dominated 4-0, and they were the best female team in the world at the time.

Pretty sure most competent boys high school basketball teams would beat UConn's women's basketball team. Bigger, stronger, faster, wins.

Bigger, faster, stronger wins.. except in Basketball, when those factors CAN matter, but just as often, discipline matters.. ask small teams who have went far in the NCAA tournament (See: Butler.. or Princeton a few years ago). Those kids from Princeton were nothing.. skinny little white kids. But they stood there and took a charge, and they could hit free throws.

Unlike Soccer, where you have a big field and fouls don't equal free points, or football where penalties don't introduce free points.. I'm reminded of this: Michael Jordan put on one of the most spectacular showings in all of basketball, scoring 63 points against the Celtics.

Funny thing is, they LOST. Because for all his talent and points and speed, the celtics beat them with better fundamentals and spreading the ball. *shrug* Again, it's also not really the point.. the fact is, there are several good girls basketball programs and there should be a lot more. Right now, I can think of about 20 girls teams I think are seriously competitive every year (Duke, Tennessee, Texas, North Carolina, UCONN, Umass, Kansas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, etc.)

Just because other universities don't put enough value into it doesn't mean that they shouldn't. I'm sorry if fans don't support it. It's too bad. It isn't the same as watching Men's basketball, and I won't argue that. But I will say that those girls play their hearts out, and again, if I had a daughter, it's a good role model for them.

I'm a big supporter of women's athletics, and I think it gets under-recognized and poorly supported, and I tend to blame the fans who dismiss it. All I can say is: you're missing out. Boo-hoo all you want, but those student-athletes represent your university, your school, and they also represent a lot of alumni donors and they do a good job of it.

If you were to ask me, would I rather watch a Women's basketball game or Men's Rowing or Men's Lacrosse or Men's archery.. I'd take Women's basketball every day of the week. But I could understand where someone else would like those other sports. To each there own. But I won't dismiss their accomplishment. Whether you think there competition is lackluster or not, I would argue those other universities also play hard - remember, it wasn't very long ago that Tennessee was a major dominant force in women's athletics.. and Duke had a good run a few years back, etc.

What it really is is a credit to the coaching and recruiting efforts by UCONN. Becuase they are judged against the same talent as everyone else, and if it were so easy, some other major womens basketball team would have accomplished this long ago. But they didn't.

WTF am I doing arguing basketball with you, tfree.. maybe you can make this argument again if Nebraska can win say, 2 or 3 in a row..

The Celtics had Larry Bird and their power forward was a little taller than 6-foot. If I remember correctly, they were probably bigger and stronger than the Bulls that year, in fact. Nebraska's men's team (which has currently won 7 straight) has five players 6-10" or taller, plus a couple more players over 6'6." UConn's center is maybe 6'3," I'd guess. I've tried to watch women's b-ball because I always hear how fundamentally sound they are, but it's a different game. Their inside players wouldn't come close to competing with men, and their outside shooters would rarely get their shots off, as well. The set shot has disappeared in men's ball for a reason. Comparing men's and women's basketball is apples and oranges and I'd guess good high school boys teams would probably beat UConn's women.

But I think you can compare streaks without comparing the quality of players or even teams. A long streak speaks to the consistency of coaching and strength of a program more than the greatness of a particular year's team. As Servo points out, UConn is miles ahead of most women's programs, just as UCLA was miles ahead of most men's programs during the 1960s. We'll never see another UCLA in college basketball because the competition has gotten too tough.