Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Capt. Rino

Steal this Sailboat!

$ 3,000.00

sumth'n ain't right

do bridge tolls in the Keys come with it.....

It looks like it's worth 4X the 3K. Something weird with the upper shrouds going on - perhaps they were shortened and link plates added? Mainsail might be sun-damaged from hanging out the mast like that. Easy fixes. 3K is a bargain. The motor alone is worth that...

I think she paid like $13K about one year ago. She's a woman! ;)
I've left messages with several friends.

Tell your neighbor not to beat herself up over it, she's not the first, and she won't be the last. Many years ago, a nice woman next door to me fell for this slimeball new to town from Texas. He was boasting to everyone he could sail, he couldn't. He convinced my neighbor to cash in all her savings to buy themselves a rotten, wooden 30' ketch. He put it on Passage Key shoal on the delivery up to Tampa, the boat only lasted about 30 minutes before breaking apart in the surf. The dude split.

Has the sailboat been sold? I know a british woman who knows how to sail looking to buy one, but she can't spend too much money fixing it up.

It's been like a Jerry Springer episode with her!:facepalm

I will find out, but she just sold her place for practically nothing and moved furthur South to Key West.

My gf has her number though and I will find out as the boat is still out there in the boat slip, so I am not sure what the status of it is?

Has the sailboat been sold? I know a british woman who knows how to sail looking to buy one, but she can't spend too much money fixing it up.

B.O.A.T. = break out another thousand. :rotflmao

Seriously, it depends what she's going to use it for. The boat probably needs very little if it's going to sit at the dock like now. If your friend is going to do some daysailing and short cruises then it looks like it might need about $3K in work - replacing rigging, having the sails looked over, and going through the fuel system. That's assuming there's no major structural problems, which I doubt. If she's going to do extended cruising then there's probably about $6-8K in work and equipment needed - plumbing overhaul, electrical overhaul, safety gear, new sails, sun awnings,etc.

B.O.A.T. = break out another thousand. :rotflmao

Seriously, it depends what she's going to use it for. The boat probably needs very little if it's going to sit at the dock like now. If your friend is going to do some daysailing and short cruises then it looks like it might need about $3K in work - replacing rigging, having the sails looked over, and going through the fuel system. That's assuming there's no major structural problems, which I doubt. If she's going to do extended cruising then there's probably about $6-8K in work and equipment needed - plumbing overhaul, electrical overhaul, safety gear, new sails, sun awnings,etc.

I honestly think this is a right on the money assesment. I honestly know very little about sailboats myself, but my other neighbor Dave who I have become very good friends with says it would be a steal at $3,000.

It's funny as when I first met Dave we talked and it ends up he grew up in the same area as I did. He grew up 35 miles East of where I did in Destin, FL. and he is a very avid sailor. He has a very nice 42' sailboat pretty much the same kind as Debbie's, but his is larger. He has been a sailor for over 20 years and he sails to Aruba and other far away places. He is a retired General Contractor who did very well building big expensive mansions. He actually dated a friend of mine for several years after I moved away from that area. I trust his assesment totally! His sailboat sits just a couple of slips away from hers.

I am still trying to get in contact with her, but I think shes on a partying binge down in Key West right now!:facepalm She will probably meet her next scam artist! :ohcrap

Is it me, or does Skipper Shad sound like spam? I really hope he is, bc it's a sad story otherwise.
Not to sound like an insensitive dick (shaddup!), but the Skipper Shad post does smell like a scam. There have been many scams (usually selling tickets) where the scammer has a very sad story to tell -- says he/she has (insert life-threatening ailment) or (insert major tragic life event, like close family member just died) -- in order to soften up the "mark"......then scam their "mark" by wanting to pass payment thru a bogus Western Union transfer. They even provide a "tracking number that seems real and they talk you through the process on the phone until the money appears on their end.

As a buyer, they try to pay through a "courier service" or Western Union money wire - which are bogus.

If Shad is indeed waiting for a heart transplant, I sincerely wish him the best of luck on that......I just thought it was "interesting" that this was posted on a forum of strangers on his very first post, and has nothing to do with buying the sailboat.

PS: If I knew how to sail (I owned a little 10-ft tri hull sailboat as a young teen, but haven't sailed ever since!), I'd snap this sailboat up myself.