Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Behn

Blalock called up, Burrell DFA'd

Kapler hits the game winning sacrifice fly.

That pos keeps making good plays right after I write him off as flotsam.

I still hate the way he looks while he plays. In the field he never takes good route to the ball. At the plate he is all hands - I have no idea how he has ever hit a HR...

It is a good thing Kapler got that sacrifice fly because Lee dominated Longoria and most of the Rays hitters. I was not sure the Rays were going to get Crawford home. Runs were hard to come by this weekend.

Post script- I can not understand why Upton of all players gives Lee the most trouble. I guess because Lee throws almost all strikes. If he threw it in the dirt or a mile outside, he would do better with Upton.

I have to give Soriano credit. He does not give me heartburn any more. Frankly his one walk in the 9th was a bad call by the umpire.

Post script- I can not understand why Upton of all players gives Lee the most trouble. I guess because Lee throws almost all strikes. If he threw it in the dirt or a mile outside, he would do better with Upton.

This makes little sense. Coming in to this year, BJ was the Rays most patient hitter. He swung at fewer pitches outside the zone then any player on their roster... only about 18%. This year that number is up to 29%, but he is middle of the pack, just behind Evan Longoria.

http://www.fangraphs.com/winss.aspx?team=Rays&pos=all&stats=bat&qual=0&type=5&season=2010&month=0

I suggest you look at his last 7 or 8 games. He struck out 14 times and drew only one walk and 2 hits in 23 bats beginning on May 7th in Oakland. I had the privilege to watch all of those games. He would fall behind 0-2 by taking pitches and then have to swing defensively and badly as he fell behind the count. Did you see his two games against the Angels? He struck out 6 times in 8 at bats.

The Rays need to be the Upton in 2008 and not the guy last year that struck out almost 3 times for every walk he got. Upton like Pena makes up for his slumps with his fielding. The Rays have good pitching but the fielding makes the pitching even better than it is.

This makes little sense. Coming in to this year, BJ was the Rays most patient hitter. He swung at fewer pitches outside the zone then any player on their roster... only about 18%. This year that number is up to 29%, but he is middle of the pack, just behind Evan Longoria.

http://www.fangraphs.com/winss.aspx?team=Rays&pos=all&stats=bat&qual=0&type=5&season=2010&month=0

you obviously don't watch the games, upton swings at damn near everything he is definitely not their most patient hitter, he is not even close

It is a good thing Kapler got that sacrifice fly because Lee dominated Longoria and most of the Rays hitters. I was not sure the Rays were going to get Crawford home. Runs were hard to come by this weekend.

I have to give Soriano credit. He does not give me heartburn any more. Frankly his one walk in the 9th was a bad call by the umpire.

I think one of the reasons that upton had success on lee, it they don't see him as a huge threat, so it backfired and upton got him some hits

you obviously don't watch the games, upton swings at damn near everything he is definitely not their most patient hitter, he is not even close

I think one of the reasons that upton had success on lee, it they don't see him as a huge threat, so it backfired and upton got him some hits

Feel free not to let the stats he posted get in the way of you ranting.:facepalm

Yes, I just posted stats where in a six game span Upton struck out 14 times in 23 ABs with one walk. While he does not strike out swinging wildly Vlad Guerrero at every pitch, taking two quick strikes and constantly being in bad counts leads to those bad swings or should I say swing. I don't consider a good eye when he gets punched out looking at strike 3. Those at bats are typically Strike 1 (taking) foul off or swing and a miss (strike 2) and then staring at a called strike 3.

He got punched out on 3 or 4 pitches. The guy is loaded with potential but he has streaks where the pitchers in the National League look like a tougher out than Upton.

Yes, I just posted stats where in a six game span Upton struck out 14 times in 23 ABs with one walk. While he does not strike out swinging wildly Vlad Guerrero at every pitch, taking two quick strikes and constantly being in bad counts leads to those bad swings or should I say swing. I don't consider a good eye when he gets punched out looking at strike 3. Those at bats are typically Strike 1 (taking) foul off or swing and a miss (strike 2) and then staring at a called strike 3.

He got punched out on 3 or 4 pitches. The guy is loaded with potential but he has streaks where the pitchers in the National League look like a tougher out than Upton.

I understand your frustration, and while BJ was mired in a bad slump out ont he West Coast, 6 or 7 games is way too small of a sample size. The stats I posted are up to day, and include those games you referenced. BJ has swung at more pitches then normal outside the strikezone, but he is still middle of the pack. He takes a lot of called 3rd strikes also.

I'm not saying BJ has played well offensively, just that one of his strengths(prior to this season) has been at his ability to lay off pitches outside the zone.

Paintballer, I watch plenty of games, and played baseball collegiately and professionally. I use stats to support what my eyes tell me.

IMO, BJ struggles with the hitting (taking?) philosphy that Maddon employs, we all know what it is designed to do and that can be very effective for some hitters (takers). BJ is a hitter of the baseball, once he puts his bat on his shoulder it is hard for him to get it going, he is one hitter who needs to have a free reign to swing the bat. Cliff Lee is a guy that nibbles at the corners, he doesn't over power anyone, but most Ump's give him pretty good calls on the edge. Lee was throwing a fairly large percentage of first pitch strikes on Sunday, most fast balls, quite a few right down the center. I believe you attack a guy like Lee, take that first pitch away from him, odds are you are not going to be successful waiting for him to throw himself out of the game, so attack his first fastball. Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, yes they won the game Sunday, but there are many games left in this season and this team needs to start hitting the ball, they can not survive all season winning 2-1. 2008 had a lot of very fortunate wins, but the lack of hitting caught up with them in the series. Upton? Once he started to attack the baseball early in the post season we saw what he is capable of doing.

I was actually referencing paintballers post, but the gist of the topic is not whether or not Upton strikes out, we all know he does. The issue was does he swing wildly at pitches outside the zone. The stats posted show that he does not swing often at pitches outside the zone. If anything, BJ takes too many good pitches.

Feel free not to let the stats he posted get in the way of you ranting.:facepalm

feel free to go screw yourself, look I watch every game I can, which is pretty much every one, B.J. is one of my favorite players, and he does indeed swing at everything, those stats are bullcrap the guy swings at everything within 5-10 feet, end of story

rook, the thing about vlad is, he is successful at doing that, upton does damn near the same thing but is extremely unsuccessful doing it

Blalock sucked his first game back up in the majors. Pretty much did the same thing Burrell did - struck out.

Was Burrell released, sent to the minors?

he advance willy trying to get another run on the board and he made a great defensive play, I am plenty happy with his first game as a ray

I understand your frustration, and while BJ was mired in a bad slump out ont he West Coast, 6 or 7 games is way too small of a sample size. The stats I posted are up to day, and include those games you referenced. BJ has swung at more pitches then normal outside the strikezone, but he is still middle of the pack. He takes a lot of called 3rd strikes also.

I'm not saying BJ has played well offensively, just that one of his strengths(prior to this season) has been at his ability to lay off pitches outside the zone.

Paintballer, I watch plenty of games, and played baseball collegiately and professionally. I use stats to support what my eyes tell me.

I'm telling you I watch almost all of their games and he swings at everything, trust me I'm not blind

feel free to go screw yourself, look I watch every game I can, which is pretty much every one, B.J. is one of my favorite players, and he does indeed swing at everything, those stats are bullcrap the guy swings at everything within 5-10 feet, end of story

This is really dumb, even for someone that lives in the Bay area.

This is really dumb, even for someone that lives in the Bay area.

I guess the guy is just not understanding the concept. Yes paintballer, BJ strikes out quite a bit. He just doesn't strike out swinging at bad pitches. For lack of a better term, he strikes out swinging at GOOD pitches. You agree with Rook, yet rook is saying what everyone else is saying, the guy strikes out alot but not on bad pitches. Try typing "BJ Upton strikes out alot, swinging at good, not bad pitches." 100 times, sorta like writing it on the chalkboard, it will sink in eventually.:D