Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Casey

The Official Pat Burrell Sucks Thread

I can't take seeing him at the plate anymore. Sure he had a single last night that drove in a run, but what did he do the other 3 at-bats? Nothing. Hell, David Price had a hit last night. In the last 7 days, Burrell is hitting .154.

Why take Gross or Kapler out of the lineup to put Burrell in at RF the entire game? Kapler's batting .750 in his last 7 games, and Gross is hitting .412 with 6 RBIs in his last 7.

Anyway, this isn't just 1 game. Burrell hasn't done anything all season except to maybe get his neck back in shape.

He's got a great glare at home plate, but I bet the Rays could have bought a similar glare for a helluva lot less.

i agree i would have left kapler in there last night, but the put him in there cuz he has hit good over his career against there starter, by the way hes been injured pretty much the whole season and probably isnt over it yet. im still given out hope he will do better, but also hes a locker room guy too, a veteran, not just a bat.

by the end of the year "Pat the Bat" will have his 250avg with 20-30HR and 90 RBI's which is why they signed him (Those numbers may be down to injury). He goes in streaks and has never been an every day hitter. I am still shocked we paid him what we did. But right now he is hittin for his normal avg. the slugging is not there though. But with Gross and Kappler hot right now Joe made a mistake starting Pat who has hit like crap coming back from injury. Dude went 2/15 in the rehab starts-- pitiful.

by the end of the year "Pat the Bat" will have his 250avg with 20-30HR and 90 RBI's which is why they signed him (Those numbers may be down to injury). He goes in streaks and has never been an every day hitter. I am still shocked we paid him what we did. But right now he is hittin for his normal avg. the slugging is not there though. But with Gross and Kappler hot right now Joe made a mistake starting Pat who has hit like crap coming back from injury. Dude went 2/15 in the rehab starts-- pitiful.

He can start putting up his career numbers anytime now. That's all we wanted out of Pat, do what you've done all along. Hasn't happened yet.

I was gonna hold my comments till now bit I agree. He sucks!

Injury or not, 1 HR at this point is pathetic. Expecting him to reach 20 is fantasy. If he gets close to his norm he might get to 15 HR's. More likely he ends up about 10.

Not much of a bargain there IMO. :thumbsdown

What everyone has said here is true to an extent, however he is not why they are losing games, lack of plate discipline is their biggest problem. The last Rockies game, they just could not hit the ball far enough... how about instead they try to drive the ball for a base hit and not swing for the fence. Last night still looked the same, these young guys get caught up in hitting homeruns, Pena included.

What everyone has said here is true to an extent, however he is not why they are losing games, lack of plate discipline is their biggest problem. The last Rockies game, they just could not hit the ball far enough... how about instead they try to drive the ball for a base hit and not swing for the fence. Last night still looked the same, these young guys get caught up in hitting homeruns, Pena included.

That was a darn nice bunt Pena put down the 3rd base line the other game. Chubs Navarro needs to get going. I also think Joe misses some really good opportunities to paly small ball and get a run here and there.

So far Burrell sucks.

I can't take seeing him at the plate anymore. Sure he had a single last night that drove in a run, but what did he do the other 3 at-bats? Nothing. Hell, David Price had a hit last night. In the last 7 days, Burrell is hitting .154.

Why take Gross or Kapler out of the lineup to put Burrell in at RF the entire game? Kapler's batting .750 in his last 7 games, and Gross is hitting .412 with 6 RBIs in his last 7.

Anyway, this isn't just 1 game. Burrell hasn't done anything all season except to maybe get his neck back in shape.

He's got a great glare at home plate, but I bet the Rays could have bought a similar glare for a helluva lot less.

Well if you watched the "Inside the Rays" thing on FS Florida they said going from a position player to a DH is hard mentally, he's also adjusting to a new league, I don't want to give up on him yet.

Wrong. The guy gets as many at bats as a DH than if he was playing OF during non-IL games. So his plate appearances during AL games is the same. And the truth of the matter is he has sucked out loud. We paid too much for him. Philly's got a great deal.

Wrong. The guy gets as many at bats as a DH than if he was playing OF during non-IL games. So his plate appearances during AL games is the same. And the truth of the matter is he has sucked out loud. We paid too much for him. Philly's got a great deal.

The nice thing about posts like this coinciding with the sport of baseball is that I usually don't have to wait long to rub it in your face how wrong you are.

Philly's got a great deal.

What the heck does this mean?:confused:

Burrell had a couple of pinch hits coming off the bench in the Mutts series, and is showing some signs of life at the plate. You don't think this guy wants to rip the Phillies apart. They didn't even offer him a contract....nothing.

He's gonna be keyed up for this series.:pistols

Based on what I've seen of him so far this season I can understand why!:facepalm

Touche'

There is no question he has underperformed this year. I've ripped on him as much as the next guy(not as much as you), but dammit we need that bat to heat up. What better way, than to face your old mates.

You'd think that if he was going to show signs of life, then we would have seen it in last Wednesday's game against Colorado. Maddon decided to keep the Gabe's (arguably HOT bats right now) out of RF and start Burrell, because Burrell had gone 11-for-16 with a homer against the Rockies' Aaron Cook. So what did Burrell do against Cook? He went 1 fer with an RBI. I guess that's hot compared to an ice cold slump.

We overpaid.

You'd think that if he was going to show signs of life, then we would have seen it in last Wednesday's game against Colorado. Maddon decided to keep the Gabe's (arguably HOT bats right now) out of RF and start Burrell, because Burrell had gone 11-for-16 with a homer against the Rockies' Aaron Cook. So what did Burrell do against Cook? He went 1 fer with an RBI. I guess that's hot compared to an ice cold slump.

We overpaid.

I'll agree with the part about playing Burrell against the Rox with the red hot Gabe sitting on the bench. Sometimes I really have to question Joe's decisions. That was one I did.

He had just come off the DL, with what was it, a 1-13 rehab starts in A and AA. Or something like that. He hits like shit against minor league pitchers, he hasn't been in the field all year, the Gabe's are better fielders.....cough. And he's never played right field, but that's where Joe puts him.

But because he's 11-16 against Cook, he gets the start.:facepalm

What better way, than to face your old mates.

There may not be a better way, other than Maddon looking at his stat sheet on Burrell v. Cook, for example. But the results are consistenly the same.

Burrell is not productive. Not at all. No hits last night, walked once. This from our DH. :rolleyes:

You don't think this guy wants to rip the Phillies apart. They didn't even offer him a contract....nothing.

He's gonna be keyed up for this series.:pistols

If the assumption is Burrell is going to play his best ball against his old team, then his performance last night is the epitome of what I've been saying all along.