Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Axe

Worst to First to Worst

there not jelling, the got rid of four capable home run hitters in rocco,cliff, jonny, and eric(may be erik), and replaced them with one maybe 2 home run hitters in burrell and joyce(whos not playing) and they also add kapler whose not a big home run guy, and they got rid of a starting pitcher and a regular in the bullpen(not saying they were good, they were just used to those people) which were edwin jackson and trever miller, so a bunch(not a huge amount) of new players that have to learn to play together are just taking a while to get used to it, and also upton is struggling out of the gate, and when zobrist starts hes not near as impactful(if thats a word) as when he pinch hits

Rocco was a no factor for most of the season last year ...on the field... but perhaps it is his locker room presence that the Rays miss. Chemistry is not right on this team this year, and that speaks to Kepler, Burrell.

Why Gabe Gross is playing for us is anyone's guess.

Perhaps its the lineup. Aki should be higher in the lineup.

Pitching is so-so this year. Are teams just geeked up to play us? Take down the reigning AL Champs? Bull-pen is terrible. This team is hot and cold. When's the last time we won back-to-back games? We win one, lose two. We need to win this series and get some Mo on our side before coming back to the Trop and playing a red-hot Boston squad. We could gain 3 games on Boston if our guys could get back to last year's form.

Ahh, I rant. I love these guys but feel something's not right with this year's team. Bring Johnny Gomes back.

Why Gabe Gross is playing for us is anyone's guess.

This is the one thing that baffles me!:rolleyes: He's either a relative of Madden's or he has photos somewhere.

The guy cannot hit worth a damn, he's mediocre in the field and he's the worst base runner on the team!

This team is just out of sync to say the least. Another base running blunder last night by Ayabar cost us a run. How many base runner blunders so far this season? :facepalm

Something is wrong with Aki as he looks terrible this season thus far and BJ Upton totally sucks at the plate as he strikes out almost every at bat. He needs to be moved out of the top stop ASAP.

IMHO, they could possibly use a new hitting coach as this team strikes out way too much. Also their solid closer like Howell and Balfour are struggling this year.

BJ didn't really have a spring training and is just getting comfortable at the plate. He'll be fine. Aki is solid and there's no reason think he all the sudden forgot how to play.

As far as missing Rocco and Jonny Gomes...are u serious??? Rocco was not really not much of a factor last year and Gomes was an absolute joke.

Shields is pitching well. He gave up 4 runs combined in his last two starts. No problem with the starting pitching. It's clutch hitting, or lack thereof, that's killing this team right now. Navi can't hit worth a damn right now.

The base running mistakes are on the manager. He needs to make sure his team understands situational running.

Once this team starts clicking, they will be scary good. I'm not too worried about it.

I wouldn't go so far as to call them the worst but tonight's loss has been pretty disheartening. Those were the games we won last year and we couldn't pull it out tonight. Thank God the season is still young and we have a lot of time to turn it around.

The reason I called them the worst again is because they are in the cellar of the AL East and 6 1/2 games out already.. It's time to start gathering it up.. If they continue playing this badly they conceivably could be 10 games out by the end of the Boston series..

the most troubling part of our record is that right now everyone is healthy. If we could say that we were missing a couple of key guys or that someone was playing through a tough injury, then the record looks a little more acceptable, but right now we're losing too many games that we should be winning and there isn't any excuse for it. The blame goes to the whole team, and no one is playing so well right now that they don't deserve a little of the blame. I don't think Gabe Gross is a bad player or worthless at the plate. He threw out a baserunner and a hit a home run a couple of days ago, so we know he is good. He is actually are best rf defensively, believe it or not. Zobrist is trying to steal Aybar's title as the best bench player in baseball, and down on the farm we have a lot of talent that can come up when the injuries do start happening. This i an above .500 hundred team, but we are going to need some hot streaks to start happening soon if we are going to be an elite team this year. This team needs confidence and even more so, it needs to win a series.

It could get ugly vs Boston. All the Sawx fans will come crawling back out of the woodwork and take over the Trop. Good seats are available for Thursday and Friday, limited seats on the weekend. But this team looks like it's going through the motions, like it's 2007 again, and Maddon needs to do something to shake them up. Like maybe putting Aki back leadoff. BJ is struggling and Crawford is swinging at anything within 3 feet of either side of home plate. When Jeff Niemann is your best pitcher during the month of April, you are in some deep doo doo, expecting to go anywhere.

Wow...we look pretty horrible again tonight. Is it me or do we make every opposing starting pitcher look like an ace. We're not swinging at balls in the zone and continually taking hacks at balls that aren't anywhere near the zone. Don't we have a pitching coach for that kind of thing? We could be in for a long weekend. On a lighter note, the Red Sox are losing so that's a good thing. Right?

The only positive is that the same Boston team that ended up being a springboard for last year's Rays at about this time is going to show up again this weekend. If they put up another poor showing you can probably forget about contending this year. It's extremely hard to recover from going 10-20 in the first month of the season.

I'd like to remphasize for those that didn't "get" the point I made in my ealrier post, is that essentially, everyone on paper said we had a better team this year than last. If that's true, then why are we "playing" so poorly? Chemistry goes a long way, and Rocco was a class act through and through. After what that guy went through to get back in the majors and then hit one above the green monster that left the park in the ALCS, and then to lose him in the offseason ... to the Redsox no less - has to take something "away" from this team. Did we get an equal amount in return? Burell hasn't been all that good, and Kepler sucks.

Gomes sucked at the plate but his presence in the dugout, and the fact it was he who charged in with fists flying to back up his team-mates in spring training and again early last season speaks volumes to what we lost (in the dug-out).

Rocco is class personified, but was hardly there in the dugout most of the year. He was busy rehabbing and seeing various doctors trying to figure out what was wrong with him. Yeah, he went to Boston, but BalDLli is back in familiar territory, injured again.

Gomes was a great cheerleader in the dugout but can you carry a cheerleader on a 25 man roster? Your last bench player needs to contribute a little bit. If we need a cheerleader, go sign Rachel Watson...yum.

I was shocked to see the Upton only has 1 RBI all year (before tonight). April was basically his spring training, so it's only a matter of time until he becomes the BJ we need and expect. Crawford needs to stop swinging at everything and work the count better too. They are the table setters, Longoria, Pena and eventually Burrell will clean up the table. And Navi, try blocking pitches in the dirt with your body instead of trying to do a scoop like Pena does at first. It's OK to get dirty as a catcher.

Damn, it's over. Is that the most consecutive batters retired in Rays history? (If you don't know what we're talking about, Garza threw six perfect innings.)

We've seen them put the hammer down in the first game of something like 4-5 series in a row. I'm more interested in what happens tomorrow night and over the weekend.

That was a good old fashioned ass whooping we put on the Dead Sux last night. Garza was just amazingly perfect. He mixed up his pitches and kept the Sux lineup off balance, not to mention that 96mph heater. He was consistantly at 92-94.

An infield scratch hit broke it up, leadoff hitter in the 7th. When it hit the front side of the mound it slowed the ball enough for that speedster Ellsbury to beat it out.

Classy move by Joe to take him out with 2 outs and nobody on in the 8th inning, to a standing ovation.:thumbsup