Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

piscitelli

Do the Red Sox Have the Worst Fans?

I was at the game Friday night. Once they got the lead, their fans were relentless. There's one thing to be happy when your team wins. But to heckle and tease and gloat about it. They were just over the top. It was especially bad in the luxury box right behind me filled with Boston fans. They knew that because they were in that box, noone could take a swing at them.

As much as I wanted the Rays to win before the series, I SOOO want them to win now just so Boston Fan can SHUT THE F*CK UP!!

I know Philly Fan is pretty bad as is Yankee Fan. But these Boston Fans were just down right evil and hateful!

GO RAYS!!

I saw this on another board and thought it was a great post. It's for all the bandwagon Red Sox fans that didn't know the difference between Big Papi and Big Bird before 2004, but who think it's wicked cool to insult other teams and their fans...

MightyHGH wrote:

Lets hear it folks. What is it about Red Sox fans that drive you nuts?

Posts like this is the exact reasons why Red Sox fans drive us nuts. Your extreme arrogance and being poor winners is by far worse than any Yankee fan I have ever come across.

Where are the humble Red Sox fans? You know where they are? They are all dead cause they weren't alive when the Red Sox finally won it all.

Take Cardinals fans....when do you ever see an arrogant Cardinals fan? What about Angels fans...etc

You know who was the most humble of fans? The 2003 Aaron Freaking Boone Red Sox fans. Cause they understood what fans go through. They had their hearts ripped out of the chest and left there to die as Boone made them their bitch.

What happened to those fans? Oh yeah, they overcame a 3 - 0 game lead to the Yankees and went on to win the 2004 WS.

Thats the day the Red Sox fan of past had died. They simple forgot about Bucky Dent, Mookie Wilson, Ray Knight, Bill Buckner, Calvin Schraldi, Aaron Boone, etc etc etc. Their self regulated fear of losing was lost. They acted as if they just recovered from acrophobia (fear of heights) and now were sky diving and rock climbing, cause that fear of what caused them all that pain had now been reversed.

They forgot what it was like to be a fan and instead they became a cult. A cult full of pink hats, "knuckleballs", arrogance and a sense of entitlement that they used to hate. And who was that hate for entitlement? The Yankees. The Red Sox had become what they feared most. They were those bronx bombers, arrogant a$$es that at any chance would remind you <b>27 world champions!!!!!!!!!!!!</b>. But now instead of 27, we hear 2 of the last 4 years!!!!!!!

So you (im asuming you are a Red Sox fan) can ask the question "what drives us nuts". But how about you do some self examining and try to find that fan of the past. The one who might have cried when Ray Knight rounded 3rd during game 6 of the 1986 WS. Or the guy who wanted to break his TV when Boone sent the ball over the wall when Wakefield came in for relief. Or how about the 27 times the Yankees have won the world series. How did it make you feel. Were you jealous, didn;t you just hate it when a Yankees fan reminded you at every chance that you hadnt won jack $h1T.

So go drive yourself nuts if you want to be a 2008 Red Sox fan. Try to find the 1978, 1986 or 2003 Boston Red Sox fan in you. I think it will help you be a better Red Sox fan, baseball fan and by far a better person.

Good stuff there Bucforce! I think the problem isn't so much that they forgot the 1978, 1986, etc. Boston fan in them, it's that the Boston fans you see in the Trop for the most part weren't actually Boston fans until they won it all. People like to point out that 80% of the Rays fan base came on board in the last 2 months, well 75% of the "Nation" came on board in the last 4 years. I don't remember hardly ever seeing a Boston fan outside of New England until this decade, now they are everywhere. These people that you see aren't the Red Sox fans that suffered (for the most part) they are the people who have only known success. So introspection will do nothing for most of these chumps, only a swift kick in the balls in the form of an ALCS defeat by our own hand (or foot, I guess) can deliver them from evil. They like to gloat about that consecutive sold out record, guess when it started...not when they were losing.

Thank you BucForce. That post said it so well.

I actually disagree. I think it's the bandwagon douchebags and assholes who act like that. And we all know Tampa/St. Pete has no shortage of douchebags and assholes.

Too much bad stuff has happened to the Red Sox over the years for the true lifers to ever get that arrogant and smug, even now that they've won two World Series. The fans with the ugly sweat-stained hats, the Mo Vaughn and Wade Boggs jerseys, the ones who can talk about the finer points of baseball for hours. I think they hate the D-bags and A-holes just as much as the fans of other teams do.

I actually disagree. I think it's the bandwagon douchebags and assholes who act like that. And we all know Tampa/St. Pete has no shortage of douchebags and assholes.

Too much bad stuff has happened to the Red Sox over the years for the true lifers to ever get that arrogant and smug, even now that they've won two World Series. The fans with the ugly sweat-stained hats, the Mo Vaughn and Wade Boggs jerseys, the ones who can talk about the finer points of baseball for hours. I think they hate the D-bags and A-holes just as much as the fans of other teams do.

Read BucForce's post again. He's saying the same thing you are.

The point is we all know about sore losers. But a-hole winners can be worse. The fact that these jerks were not around to endure the tough times makes me hate them even more.

Go Rays! Stick it to the Red Sox!

I don't know. My neighbor is a life long sox fan, and knows as much about yankee history, or rays history (not that there's much there to know) as any of their respective fans do. But he's still an arrogant asshole.

I know a guy who is also a life long sux fan, until the Rays came to town. He still wants the sux to win, unless they play the Rays. He's an older dude so he has that sense of history, pain, and losing. Unlike the newer bandwagon sux fan.

OK, long time Sox fan here, I'm 46 so I've been through the tough losses, the unbearable collapses, the very lean years where the team just plain sucked. I grew up in the New Haven area, the veritable Mason-Dixon line between Sox fans and Yankee fans, and was constantly reminded by Yankee fans that my team couldn't get it done, their team had won 20-some-odd WC's etc.

It is exactly because of those experiences that I do NOT like a lot of what I see from...gulp...Red Sox Nation (I hate that fucking term too). The pink hat and cell phone crowd at the games? Can't stand it. The overzealous front runners? Hate 'em.

When I go to a game, I sit, I enjoy, I walk around, I talk to people, regardless if their affiliation...in fact I'd almost rather talk to folks from the opposing city, more to learn, you gain a perspective, etc.

Now here's the surprising part...I'm not the only one who feels this way. Many, many Sox fans feel this way...virtually all of the ones I know and associate with do. Problem is you don't see them, cuz their quiet and respectful. So what is seen is the a-hole who taunts an opposing fan or the drunk who falls down the stairs, or the teens and 20-something crowd who pay more attention to the ancillary aspects of the event than they do to the game.

These same types of fans are seen in the Bronx and I've seen them in Chicago too. In hockey, the "noble" and "classy" city of Montreal has 'em. They're in NFL cities such as Dallas and Philly and Oakland.

Cities that have had, at some time, some success and who have a very passionate following in their sports teams seem to invariably, and unwittingly, create this type of fan within their ranks. Unfortunately success and passion combine to generate this lowest life forms in terms of fans. In Boston, with a stadium that holds only 35k or so, it's even more frustrating in that the aholes battle you for game tix once they go on sale, and in terms of less conventional means of purchasing tix, they're the ones most likely to fork out the big bucks...after all, they'd never watch it on tv, they're simply interested in being there, not in what happens to their team. And if you are lucky enough to score some tix, you end up sitting next to some know-nothing tool who just wants to be seen on TV.

You guys have one helluva team this year, hats off to you. In fact I extended my congratulations (in my favorite Sox forum) to several TB fans who joined (two used the names the CowbellKid and JoeMagrane) and said that in my opinion, the Rays were THE best team in baseball this year. I further predicted they'd win the WS and beat us rather handily. Most of their posts, I hate to tell you, were inflammatory, even toward those who, like me, welcomed them aboard and extended our hopes for a great series. One guy started 6 different threads, all flaming the Sox.

So I submit to you that their are dikhead/sh*tstain/ahole fans lurking in most cities and that once the right blend of ingredients come into play, they reveal themselves in very unattractive ways. Keep your eyes open, and your heads up, and don't stoop to the levels that too many fans, regardless of their geography, lower themselves to...I'm sure you don't want your fan base developing the reputation that you feel pervades Boston and New York fans, and as witnessed by the trolls invading and flaming the Sox boards from the Sunshine States west coast, it is already starting.

Nice post Bald. Welcome aboard. I guess most of the hatred stems from the Bahston fans in the Bay area that flood the Trop for Sox games. Of course they've lived in the bay area themselves for the last 20 years. They still wear their Sox gear, and root for the Sox whole heartedly, while raising little Sox fans at home, that they bring to the games in their little Sox gear.

It will change over time as the Rays fans base grows. I hope.

Nice post Bald. Welcome aboard. I guess most of the hatred stems from the Bahston fans in the Bay area that flood the Trop for Sox games. Of course they've lived in the bay area themselves for the last 20 years. They still wear their Sox gear, and root for the Sox whole heartedly, while raising little Sox fans at home, that they bring to the games in their little Sox gear.

It will change over time as the Rays fans base grows. I hope.

I can only imagine how much that must suck. In Boston last year in the NHL playoffs of the 17k or so fans at games versus the Canadiens, I'd say there were 3000 Montreal fans. While it's not as disproportionate as when Sox fans invade the Trop, it was very frustrating...I mean, every time your top D-man touches the puck, a chorus of boos echoes down? Tough to deal with.

Good luck to you guys Saturday.

Problem is you don't see them, cuz their quiet and respectful. So what is seen is the a-hole who taunts an opposing fan or the drunk who falls down the stairs, or the teens and 20-something crowd who pay more attention to the ancillary aspects of the event than they do to the game.

This..........

With the exception of all Cubs fans. Cubs fans are assholes, no matter what. Young, old, middle aged, whatever.

Yours Truly,

St. Louis Cardinals Fan

PS: Baldy, I'm still not over that sweep..........

OK, long time Sox fan here, I'm 46 so I've been through the tough losses, the unbearable collapses, the very lean years where the team just plain sucked. I grew up in the New Haven area, the veritable Mason-Dixon line between Sox fans and Yankee fans, and was constantly reminded by Yankee fans that my team couldn't get it done, their team had won 20-some-odd WC's etc.

It is exactly because of those experiences that I do NOT like a lot of what I see from...gulp...Red Sox Nation (I hate that fucking term too). The pink hat and cell phone crowd at the games? Can't stand it. The overzealous front runners? Hate 'em.

When I go to a game, I sit, I enjoy, I walk around, I talk to people, regardless if their affiliation...in fact I'd almost rather talk to folks from the opposing city, more to learn, you gain a perspective, etc.

Now here's the surprising part...I'm not the only one who feels this way. Many, many Sox fans feel this way...virtually all of the ones I know and associate with do. Problem is you don't see them, cuz their quiet and respectful. So what is seen is the a-hole who taunts an opposing fan or the drunk who falls down the stairs, or the teens and 20-something crowd who pay more attention to the ancillary aspects of the event than they do to the game.

These same types of fans are seen in the Bronx and I've seen them in Chicago too. In hockey, the "noble" and "classy" city of Montreal has 'em. They're in NFL cities such as Dallas and Philly and Oakland.

Cities that have had, at some time, some success and who have a very passionate following in their sports teams seem to invariably, and unwittingly, create this type of fan within their ranks. Unfortunately success and passion combine to generate this lowest life forms in terms of fans. In Boston, with a stadium that holds only 35k or so, it's even more frustrating in that the aholes battle you for game tix once they go on sale, and in terms of less conventional means of purchasing tix, they're the ones most likely to fork out the big bucks...after all, they'd never watch it on tv, they're simply interested in being there, not in what happens to their team. And if you are lucky enough to score some tix, you end up sitting next to some know-nothing tool who just wants to be seen on TV.

You guys have one helluva team this year, hats off to you. In fact I extended my congratulations (in my favorite Sox forum) to several TB fans who joined (two used the names the CowbellKid and JoeMagrane) and said that in my opinion, the Rays were THE best team in baseball this year. I further predicted they'd win the WS and beat us rather handily. Most of their posts, I hate to tell you, were inflammatory, even toward those who, like me, welcomed them aboard and extended our hopes for a great series. One guy started 6 different threads, all flaming the Sox.

So I submit to you that their are dikhead/sh*tstain/ahole fans lurking in most cities and that once the right blend of ingredients come into play, they reveal themselves in very unattractive ways. Keep your eyes open, and your heads up, and don't stoop to the levels that too many fans, regardless of their geography, lower themselves to...I'm sure you don't want your fan base developing the reputation that you feel pervades Boston and New York fans, and as witnessed by the trolls invading and flaming the Sox boards from the Sunshine States west coast, it is already starting.

I just went to Fenway for the game 5 craziness last night, and I can agree with most of what you are saying. There are some real asses who cheer for the sox, but there are some genuinely kind people there too. I had a running conversation when a couple sitting behind us as we verbally jousted with what was going on in the game. Then came the sixth and as a few people in our section cleared out to go home, some of the real jerks found there way down into our section and the game went from being an unenjoyable nightmare for my team to just a bad experience personally. I don't think i've been called such an array of curse words by so many strangers in such a short period of time...

But there are definitely some good apples.

Another thanks to you Ellie for that interesting perspective from the other side. It is too bad that as fun as spectator sports can be, it does often bring out the worst in people especially when they have some beers in them.

In the end, it is just a game. Just entertainment. And while it hurts to lose and it's fun to win, people can take it way too far.

But the interesting part that I hadn't thought about until this thread was that the A-Hole Sox fans are mostly not the previously long suffering ones, but the more recent bandwagoners. I hope Tampa Bay doesn't attract these type of fans now. But I guess it's inevitable.

I can only imagine how much that must suck. In Boston last year in the NHL playoffs of the 17k or so fans at games versus the Canadiens, I'd say there were 3000 Montreal fans. While it's not as disproportionate as when Sox fans invade the Trop, it was very frustrating...I mean, every time your top D-man touches the puck, a chorus of boos echoes down? Tough to deal with.

I'd say the difference is that we've all been around Canadiens fans too, and ALL of their fans are jerkwads, not just people who are on the bandwagon.

You have no idea how tired we Lightning fans got of the constant "Lecavalier to Montreal" rumors that came out of that place. Only now that the Bolts have basically given Vinny a lifetime contract has all of that come to an end.

I've been a Redsox fan since 68 and have tried to root for the Rays but it's too hard to let go. My daughter loves to Rays and if they win I'll be happy for her. All teams have asshole fans and those fans are the ones that usually stick out. But there are a lot of real baseball fans who are Redsox fans and it's great that the Rays have finally made that big step to winning. They are going to be good for at least a few years just based on who they have now. Hopefully the new owners will try to keep their players and continue to build their farm system and can remain a good or even great team for years to come.

So The Rays did it, defeated the Sox, and to that, and to all of you, this Sox fans says congratulations. What a series it was, not always the best, crispest baseball, but lots of ups and downs, and a very fitting end between two pretty evenly matched teams.

Good luck against the Phillies...my gut says you'll own 'em, but anything is possible.